Athiests & authority issues?

If you are athiest do you tend to resent forms of authority? ANY form?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not at all. I show outward respect to those in an authoritative role, even if I disagree with them on a personal level. It is the position of authority that is to be respected, not necessarily the individual who is presently filling the position.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No, why would I??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I don't see what they have to do with each other?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Well if we're talking religious authority figures, then I have some mighty strong disagreements with them in most cases. If you're talking law enforcement, then No.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Nope. Do all christians have Daddy issues?
    Anonymous

• I resent armchair phychologists . . .
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• umm .....NO!! Do you assume atheists choose not to believe in god as a way to rebel, if so you need to educate yourself!
    Anonymous

• Never heard of that none I know do. How ever by Authority I'm guessing you are mainly speaking of god. Just cause they don't believe does not make them rebellious.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Situational. Depends on what the authority figure is asking of me. For the most part, I am with Obby and Kristi (and Anon @3:36, I think I love you.) But other times, yes, I have authority issues. I have autism, and this was diagnosed only recently. So as a kid, I was just "hardheaded and wanted to be like that." Like with food. I have many sensory issues with food, and my parents were those "eat it or else" food nazi types. I have issues with touch, and general social authority requires I comply with a lot of touch I'm just not going to allow. And then, didn't the authority of past times allow for slavery, denial of civil rights to females, and IDK, taxation without representation (you know, why we don't all have British accents)? My lack of belief in any sort of god construct has nothing to do with understanding right and wrong in terms of "authority".
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• On the contrary, I am very respectful of authority because the alternative would be anarchy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010