When did you stop using diapers at night?

My DD is 3. She is daytime trained, and even goes through her nap dry. She has went the last 3 or 4 nights without peeing in her diaper (she would usually soak through a pull up, that's why I put diapers on her). She sleeps with me, so I don't want to rush it and her have an accident at night, but I don't want her to rely on a diaper either.

At what point should I stop using diapers? She is my third, and I've never had one that was not day and night trained at the same time, so this is new to me.

usafwife314

Asked by usafwife314 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With my oldest 24 months with my youngest 22 months.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• #1 was past her 4th birthday before being totally night trained. #2 was right around 2. #3 was almost 4. All girls. #4, the only boy, was right around his 3rd birthday, it was his choice and he's only had 2 accidents since - I'd have had no problem diapering him at night for longer if he'd needed it.
    Anonymous

• 28 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It sounds like she's getting there... If I were sharing a bed I would definitely wait for a long stretch of dry diapers ... like at least a week, maybe two, before trying it. I don't really think with night training they make the conscious decision to use their diapers, so I don't think the diapers hinder the progress too much... Way different from day (conscious) training, in my book. Our girls are 3 and 19 months, but the 19 month-old sleeps in underwear and the 3 year-old does not! We didn't do anything differently, they both day trained around 18 months, but their bodies were so different for their nighttime capacities! If you're not doing underwear for a nap, though, I would at least start there...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I just kept them in a pull up at night till it was dry in the morning consistently for weeks. Some of them I kept in night time pull-ups till around the age of 4. I'm pretty sure just a few mos into 4 was the latest I did it.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• He was almost 4. Sometimes he has an accident here and there but only when he gets liquid too late.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• 14 consecutive days of dryness...but they weren't sleeping in my bed at that point.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• When they could go at least a week without wetting the bed, I guess. My oldest stopped wetting at night long before she was day trained so it was never an issue. My middle 2 kids were/are bedwetters. My son is 8 1/2 and still occasionally wets the bed but hasn't worn a pull up since he was 6 1/2. My 7 1/2yo daughter still wears a pull-up every night. My youngest is 4 and was day and night trained at 2 1/2 so it's been awhile for her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• When I potty trained my older 3 they wore diapers for the first week at night then just went to undies..
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2010