• In the Spotlight:

If illegals pay taxes . . .?

So I hear a lot of the supporters of illegals say that the immigrant workers do pay taxes. Assuming you are telling the truth, they pay taxes under a stolen identity (unless they have an issued tax id number which I am not talking about in this question, so please refrain) and they do not do a tax return, the government keeps that money (because who are they going to send it to?), what will happen when all of the illegals get amnesty and they can file tax returns and get their money back? How much more in debt will our government be if immigrants get to keep their tax returns?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's right to keep their money, but only in the way that I don't think it's right for them to be here illegally anyhow. Our broke nation cannot afford more people on the dole. This is absolute class warfare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Any illegal who hasn't made up or stolen an identity doesn't pay taxes. If you don't have a SS number they can't take anything out.
    I posted the other day about a mexican illegal who told his story where he had just made up his SS number. He didn't think he was doing anything wrong because he paid taxes. Wonder if that SS number just happened to be someone elses number. I'm sure he didn't mind getting all that free money at tax time for having kids and working etc that Obama gave out this year. Guess he didn't see anything wrong with the fact that that most of that money came out of Americans pockets.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Why would you benefit monetarily from something you were doing while breaking the law.

Dirty hands, according to Judge Judy.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Then why not let every illegal just stay here make them all learn English keep that money that they had before becoming legal add an extra fine on top of that and the country will be better off by getting all this money. I'm sure they will have no problem with that. The country is going to loose money by just trying to round up and deport all of them.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean get to keep their tax returns? I guess you are assuming they have a social security number and are paying too much federal taxes. Why would they pay too much taxes?

They would pay other taxes like sales tax.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Using a stolen identity is illegal. I doubt they're going to risk prison just to get back some small sum from the 10k they might make a year if they're lucky. Field work doesn't pay hardly anything.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• field work won't do a tax return on someone that is undocumented. I am talking about all of those jobs that Americans won't do, but that they need a SS number for. I am guessing that they don't file a tax return every year since their id is stolen. Or do they and they get the taxes they paid into the system back, plus whatever else low wage earners get (child credit?). I don't know since I am not a low wage earner.
    Anonymous

• illegals get amnesty and they can file tax returns and get their money back?
    ********

Taxes aren't retro-active like that. They can't say Hey you just made me legal so I want my refunds for the past 10 years! Nope sorry that money has long been spent. What you're asking about wouldn't happen.
    Anonymous

• how are they going to report an income that is being given illegally???/ under the table...
    they arent paying income taxes...how can they?
    they would be deported, they will lie low and pray immigration dont come looking for them.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• When people say illegals pay taxes they are talking about SALES TAX and possibly property tax since it is include in your rent indirectly. If you don't know what you are talking about perhaps a little more reading and a little less typing is in order!
    Anonymous

WTF are you talking about?? Illegals pay sales taxes and property taxes with money earned ILLEGALLY by being in this country ILLEGALLY all the while taking that money from someone who is a LEGAL citizen. Yay for them! Should we give them a cookie?
    Anonymous