Anti-Homeschooling moms

Ran across a question about

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Purple Butterfly has her opinions but can't back them up. A college degree doesn't make you a good teacher. I want to avoid the kind of socialization that occurs in schools. Homeschooled kids do great in the real world. Schools aren't the real world. Homeschooled get to be around people of lots of different ages. Homeschooled parents aren't afraid they have to be brave to do what they are doing.

Homeschool kids are active in scouts, sports, classes offered at universites, and other community offerings. Since they don't go to school they have more time and energy for activities. Some of these will be with kids their age.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I have no problem with homeschooling, however, I think the parents should have to have an education requirement or some sort of assessment... like if you dropped out of school at 6th grade, you shouldn't be able to homeschool
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• but you could also say private school is better than public school..i think hs is for very few people and i think its caring..but not everyone can do it.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The only reason that I wouldn't home school my own children would be because I think it's vital for a child to be able to interact daily with children of their own age. I suppose if you are able to arrange interactions and time with kids while home schooling, that's great, but I've known kids who were home schooled and didn't receive this interaction.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• As a homeschooling mom I personally love it but know its not for everyone. Peanut... in most states there are education requirements they are just very very low. Most require a high school diploma or GED. Neither of which are sufficient to be able to actually teach your child.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• @ peanut
    tell that to jaycee dugard.that got kidnapped at 11,and has extremly itellegent kids that have never been in a school.Its in the will of the mom,so i actually strogly disagree with that.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My children also interact with other none homeschooled children on a daily basis.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• well, I live in a state where there are zero educational requirements for a parent to homeschool, which is scary!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'm not a fan of it, but lumping all home schoolers, and private and public schools together isn't an accurate view of the quality a child may or not be receiving. I did consider homeschooling my 5 year old for kindergarten this year but decided the benefits of what was offered at his public school outweighed whatever I could possibly do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• you are ment to be your childrens parents, not there school education teachers.
    http://gregladen.com/wordpress/?p=495
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010