What's wrong with Arizona's SB 1070?

I agree that it can promote racial profiling but I don't see anything wrong with charging ILLEGALS that are in the country ILLEGALLY. Nor do I see a problem with charging those who knowingly hire illegals or with cops checking ID's on whoever the feel like it.

However, they better have PROOF that someone is illegal before arresting them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's PROFILING.

Anonymous

• Thats the problem. These illegals know they will be caught sooner or later if Police are allowed to ask for identification when stopped for an illegal offense. They are just pissed that their free ride is being hampered. Face it this administration is doing everything they canto fuel this fire. Obama has been trying to slyly split America using race since he got in office. He wants to make sure illegals think Republicans are horrible, make them citizens, give them free health care and then cruise to 4 more years after they all vote for him. Really, don't tell me you haven't figured that out yet? Everything this administration is doing is to gain forever power. Open your eyes.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I second itsmesteph11. I know profiling is politically incorrect, but how the heck are you supposed to maintain the law against illegal immigrants without profiling? In order to be politically correct they would come to my neighbor lady who's 92 and looks like a cotton ball.... they'd look her ID over and say, "Well, it looks like you're not an illegal immigrant, whaddaya know."
    Anonymous

• Oh profiling - how very unPC. ;)

Do you even know why profiling has been used as a legal tool? That's like saying it'd be wrong to assume the bedraggled, loner muttering anti-establishment rhetoric might be someone you want to look at a bit more closely - gosh, how can we profile unkempt white guys mumbling anti-establishment rhetoric? how wrong to assume he may be trouble. :-x

I still don't quite understand the hub-bub. I can be asked to show ID when I'm pulled over at a random check-point. I am asked for my ID when I fly domestically. I am asked for my ID when I visit certain higher security landmarks or businesses. It's up to me to produce it. If I can't, I get fined for driving without it (at least in my state.) I can't fly. I can't enter the building.

Anonymous

You must be very young. I'm hoping so anyway. Please re-read what you wrote carefully and then also turn off Fox News. Your young, there is still time to recover.
    Anonymous

• I'm blond haired and blue eyed. I have no problem with them stopping me to check my id and make sure I'm not an illegal from Sweden or Germany.

What is the big freaking deal with profiling?!?!?!? Most of the illegals in this country are from Mexico. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to find illegal Mexicans if they don't stop and check on people who look Mexican, including the legal ones. Common sense really.
    Anonymous

• What is the big freaking deal with profiling?!?!?!? Most of the illegals in this country are from Mexico. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to find illegal Mexicans if they don't stop and check on people who look Mexican, including the legal ones. Common sense really.

The big deal is that profiling is ILLEGAL!
    Anonymous

• It suspends all business licenses of any employer caught hiring illegals the first time, it revokes all business licenses permanently the second time. It puts people who hire day labor illegals in jail if they are caught. Yeah, what a terrible law it is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The big deal is that profiling is ILLEGAL!

No, it's not.
    NotPanicking

• Why not go after the people hiring illegals just to save a buck? Leave the people who are leaving destitution alone.
    Anonymous