Home schooling moms, did you have a bad time in school yourself.

I can't help but wonder if the reason a lot of moms choose to home school is because they didn't fit in or had a bad experience themselves in school. Did you get picked on or teased, so you're therefore sheltering your own children from the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in

• I'm choosing not to home school. I had a great experience in school, but maybe it's because I never experienced anything like the previous posters. My high school was a 5 star school, and the most violence I ever witnessed was a few pushes and shoves, lol. There was, I think one girl in my school out of almost 2,000 kids who got pregnant. I would never send my son to a school in a bad area. When we bought our home we made sure it was in an excellent school district with high rating and test scores. If that were to change, then we'd move. You can't just send your kid off to any old school, and you need to be involved with his teachers.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No, I liked school. I did well academically, I played volleyball and was a cheerleader. I also saw children smoking pot in the bathrooms. In 7th grade I had a child in my class bring a loaded gun and a suicide not in his backpack. Luckily he was caught before he could use the gun. I had a girl in my 8th grade class get pregnant. I can't even count how many girls I knew with one or more children by the time I graduated. In our high school our bathroom doors were cut in half (you could literally see people using the restroom) because students kept getting caught having sex. That is not the type of environment I want my children in.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No, actually I had always been extremely popular in school. If you are wanting to know why I decided to home-school my children, then here's why:

I feel that the best teachers are parents (to their own children). My kids relate to me, and I have taught many years as a summer school aid, summer camp teacher, and vacation bible school. I have a curriculum and many school supplies. I also have a standard. My standard has changed with my personal growth and I feel that public school system here in GA sucks. I'm a well educated woman and well capable of teaching my own children. If I can teach ABC's, reading, writing, math and Spanish to my (then 3yrs young)toddler, why stop there?

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sugahmamma... I am also in GA and agree the public school systems are laughable.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No I was fine in school. But things have changed and the schools here are horrible. They can't teach and they are dangerous. Less than half of the kids graduate and the ones that do have an average 3rd grade reading level. I figure I can't do any worse than that and I don't have to put my child in harms way on a daily basis.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OP, homeschooled kids are not sheltered. Mine discovered bullies when they played in a soccer league. The nice thing was they didn't have to deal with the bully 5 days a week for 9 months. A couple years later, the same bully was pulled out of school and his mom homeschooled him. His behavior improved dramatically. He found out homeschool kids would not tolerate bullies, and he had to be nice in order to fit it.

Most of my kids friends attend public school, and my kids are active in sports and other activities. They have plenty of interact with people of all ages and all walks of life. I certainly don't shelter them, in fact I encourage them to get out and about. You would be amazed on how much freedom they have.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I did great in school academically (valedictorian here) and it wasn't too bad socially, but schools now are a lot different. I've seen/heard things in the schools now that make me want to be sick.

A friend's daughter was molested on a school bus. The school gave the offender a slap on the wrist.

My oldest son was beat up during gym class. The offenders weren't punished at all because suspending them would have given them a longer Christmas break, so I was told by the principal. The offenders were also the star players on the basketball team and wouldn't have been allowed to play the first few games of the season.

The school doesn't have enough textbooks for every student and the textbooks they do have are over 15 years old. How are they supposed to study and get current? Yet they put new carpeting down in the hallways. The students aren't the priority here.

My kids are FAR from sheltered and have many PS friends.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I was a "good" student , took advanced classes all through school, was active in several activities and sports, and got along well with both my teachers and the other students, but that didn't keep me from becoming terribly burned out by the time I reached my junior year. I became depressed and suicidal. If you want to see my choice to homeschool as "sheltering" my kids from some of the things that I dealt with in school, then so be it. The way I see it, it's my JOB to protect my kids from things that I think are harmful, and in my opinion that includes public school for oh so many reasons. Drugs, drinking, teen pregnancy, bomb threats, school shootings, peer pressure, bullying, one-size-fits-all curriculum, unhealthy school lunches, standardized testing...I
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:38 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Nope, I did great in school, with out even trying. I never really got picked on or bullied, and I was involved in lots of activities and sports. The problem I had with my school though, I was never challenged. The work was way too easy, and I was never able to live up to my full potential. It's hard to see the point in going to school when you know (not just think, but know) you are smarter than most of your teachers. That is why I decided to home-school. So that my kids will be free to follow their own passions, set their own goals, and challenge themselves. It has nothing to do with wanting to shelter them, quite the contrary actually. I want to be the one to show them the world, instead of sitting back and watching them learn about it from someone else.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:03 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I did well on tests and blew off assignments. I was teased occasionally but nowhere near the bottom of the social totem pole. neither of which has anything to do with why I homeschool.

more amateur psychiatry, it just never ends. sigh.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:16 PM on May. 1, 2010