Do babies have memories from their 1st year?

Imane1215

Asked by Imane1215 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. My son is taking college psychology and according to the book you have to have good language skills to be able to encode memories. So a child has to be able to talk well.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I don't know about the first year but my 4 year old remembers sooo much she was telling me yesterday stuff that happend when she was 2 she was telling me about my grandpas birthday down to where everybody was SITTING i sooo can't believe she remembers sooo much
    Anonymous

• Gailll I think u r right.I don t remember my 1st year neither. but I wish we could to remember all the things and sacrifices the moms go throught with their babies. it s sad :(
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No, they don't consciously remember. But their brains remember a ton of it and a lot of the groundwork for healthy relationships, bonding, and later behavior are set in the first year. Mistreating a child now could have perilous consequences even if they can't conciously remember being mistreated and vice versa treating a child with tons of love, patience, affection, good stimulation not too much stimulation, etc. can lay the groundwork for healthy relationships, healthy emotions, and healthy thinking for the rest of their lives.

Some of it is genetic, yes. But, the groundwork is being laid. Their brains are very plastic at this time, most damage could be undone, but not all. So. Just be a good mom and try to keep outside forces positive if you can...

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Long term memories do not begin to form until after babies turn 2.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010