How should I start using timeout?

My 21 month old is into her terrible 2's and I want to start using timeouts but I'm not sure whether it will be affective at this age. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I also have a son in his "terrible two's" it works very well for us. When he starts misbehaving he gets a warning and if he continues he gets put in his time out spot for 1 minutes. We place a red circle on our bottom step and he knows to go there when I tell him to go to time out.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• my son is going to be 3 at the end of may and i dont think i would survive without time outs. we use a corner by the bathroom where he can be seen but he can't see anyone. we started out setting a timer for 2 min (1 min per age is usually recommended) but now we have moved on to being quiet in the corner or it will be longer 85% of the time 2 min is almost up and my son comes out to me or his dad and says i'm sorry. we then ask him what he is sorry for...usually at this stage he says for being fresh, but he does know what he went to the corner for...last week it was for biting my brother. good luck but whatever u do, if you start something finish it. even if it doestn work right away. changing it could confuse her and also at the same time show that you dont mean what you say. thus making her feel like mom doesnt know what she is doing so i'm not listening!
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 2:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2010