is there something out there that prevents poison oak?

my daughter gets it every camping trip and i have tried to teach her how to avoid it but she is not observant enough to identify it. is there something i could put on her to keep her from getting it?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 4:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes there is a lotion, but it didn't work to good for me,, I am severly allergic,, best bet lightweight long sleeves and pants,, make sure she washes her hands and face when she has been out in the wild blue yonder,, yes I know hard to monitor while at camp. You can also get shots for it to build up you immune system,, I once got it in my lungs..someone had burned it in the campfire,, very awful!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I am very allergic also, and no matter how hard I try to stay away from it, I still somehow get it. I actually have it on my ankle right now. So, obviously I don't know how to prevent it, but I have found something that really helps to get rid of it and keep it from spreading. Witch hazel. I've tried all types of creams, but this is the only thing that has really helped. You can find it at most stores near the alcohol and peroxide.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 8:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I've heard that if you wash off the oil (from the plant) within only a couple of hours you won't have the reaction to it. Bring baby wipes and do a lot of washing of her arms and legs with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2010