Anti-Homeschooling moms (PT2)

I want 1 article that proves Public School is better than Homeschool!!

I have looked for this in the past & was only able to find HS is better than PS.
I post this after reading "Any Good homeschooling programs" I was shocked how so many anti-homeschoolers come out of the woodwork just to say something bad!

So please --- 1 article that doesnt target crazies that says Public School has been proven better than Homeschooling. Or even that says Private Schools are better than Homeschooling.

Thanks.
sorry some how i flubbed the other post when trying to edit question.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm guessing there's a reason no articles can be found saying that PS is better than HS. ;)
    Anonymous

• Didn't see part 1, but what does it matter? Well, it only matters if the parents are educated enough to educate their own children.

Anonymous

• According to a study of 5,402 homeschool students from 1,657 families done in 1997, titled "Strengths of Their Own: Home Schoolers Across America," homeschooled students consistently outperformed public school peers by an average of 30 to 37 percentile points in all academic subjects. The study goes on to say that students who are homeschooled for two years or more score significantly higher than children who have been educated at home for one year or less.

... race made no difference in achievement among homeschooled students, while achievement testing of minority public students showed stark differences, with black and Hispanic students scoring substantially lower than their Caucasian counterparts.

... much less was spent per year to produce these superior results. According to study results, the average cost per home schooled student was $546 every year, ... $5,325 spent annually on each child in public schools.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My post above is pro. Here is more pro info about studies

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp

In a study released by the National Center for Home Education on November 10, 1994. According to these standardized test results provided by the Riverside Publishing Company of 16,311 homeschoolers from all 50 states K-12, the nationwide average for homeschool students is at the 77th percentile of the basic battery of the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. In reading, the homeschoolers' nationwide grand mean is the 79th percentile. In the area of language arts and math, the typical homeschooler scored in the 73rd percentile.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• That study is a crock and biased.
    Anonymous

• That study is a crock and biased.

Then show us one tht isn't....
    Anonymous

• Oh its easy finding stuff supporting Homeschooling. Thanks for the info though..
    To Anon.. can u find something that says different :)

(im not trying to attack anyone, i would love to find a pro-school article, but i havent been able to find one myself.. Also if i can get some Homeschool-bashers to do a lil' research & stop basing everything on their opinion it may help them respect the homeschoolers a bit more, just maybe?! im hopeful!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I didn't see part one of this... And I have never looked in to this subject because there is no question for me about schooling. I 100% believe that public school is better than home school. WHY? Because children need to learn to function in the real world from a young age. I know a number of homeschooling parents and families and not a one of those kids (or any of the adults which were HS kids) are ready for the real world. The real world is not sheltered. It doesn't only bring up the subjects that the person agrees with... There ARE bullies, abusers, and abused... These are ALL factors that get missed by HS. Personally, I have always felt that it is more important to learn how to interact with ALL types of people, in ALL types of situations than it is to get the best "book smart" education. If you can't function with real people in a competitive environment, your degrees & grades don't matter!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• ^^^can you give us links to this?

I know some of what you said is from personal experience, but I have seen otherwise from my experience.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sabrina, just how does spending eight hours a day, locked in a classroom, with only children around the same age as you, teach you to interact with all kinds of people, in all types of situations?

I am a home-schooling parent, and my children are not sheltered. They actually interact with the world as a whole, because they are not stuck inside an institution the majority of the day. They get to talk to and interact with people younger and older than they are, all the time. In fact, my 6 year old is on his 5th week of an 8 week trip to Taiwan with his grandparents, a trip he could not have taken had he been enrolled in public school.

Please do not use your limited sample of home-schoolers to judge all, and make sweeping generalized statements.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2010