Do you think HS is better or worse since you attended?

Another Question made me think of this, I know that comapred to my High School, the schools today are better and more prepared. I think they try to take safety precautions whereas when I was a teen if there was a drive by shooting we were told to hit the ground and then after it was over class continued on. No adult really discussed it with us, it was just a fact of life.

How does your experience compare to that of the school your child attends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• The high school my daughter is attending (the same one Michele Obama attended) is WAY better than the one that I attended.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I graduated in 2004 so they are probablly pretty much the same.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'd say worse. I have 4 sons who are 23, 22, 19 and 18 and high school isn't close to how it was back in the 80's. I wasn't afraid to go to school, I didn't have drugs running rampant (possibly weed but no one knew unless they were stoners), etc.. My sons go to a decent high school but academically it sucks compared to the one I went to.
    Anonymous

• all the schools are worse. so far this year at my daughters school they have cut 2 fridays per month from the schedule and discontinued homework because their funding isnt enough. i am neerly to the point of pulling my kids out of public school and homeschooling. i just dont think i could handle all of them all the time. school is a much needed break. but my child does not know half what i knew at her age......because they only teach what they need to know to pass the state standardized testing.
    Anonymous

• The school my kids are in is much better, but we lived in a rural migrant town so the majority of the population were poor, and their education suffered. We had a lot of gang activity, but the violence wasn't bad overall. There were some great teachers though that genuinely cared but the majority did not.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think they have over all deteriorated. When I graduated h.s. in 1963, we were still taught the basic subjects--math, English grammar and literature, history, civics. Corporal punishment was still legal to be used when it was needed, which it hardly ever was, but I did know of a few who had to visit the principal in his basement "office". They were usually boys who just tried a little too hard to be tough guys. Drugs and alcohol were used only by a very few students and everyone pretty much knew who they were, and it was considered a bad thing to be involved with either. We knew, too, that if we got into trouble at school, we would be in even more trouble when the news reached our parents, which it surely would, because the teachers would make sure that it did. I think what we are seeing in the schools today is just symptomatic of the general decline of morality and virtue and ethical standards of our society as a whole.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Wow. I graduated in 1960.....much better back then. We were not allowed to smoke anywhere on school property . We had to stay in the school , couldn't leave for lunch, and if a teacher thought you were not being respectful,you would go to the principle. We were good kids and most of us behaved and never sassed our teachers...I can'timagine what it must be like now. So many schools have metal detectors by the entrances and kids smoke...etc. There are too many kids who try to bring weapons to school. Kids smart off and have no respect for adults, and it scares me. I have 5 grandchildren in school now and they are so sweet ,but informed of reality by their parents ,know what I mean? The schools are excellent but there are a few bad apples.....It frightens me.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think the schools are getting worse or equal too.. I went to a good/nice school from a nice area & this week my Jr. High made headlines "Girls bring jello shots to school".. When I was in school (im 26) kids would do coke in school (never caught) bring alcohol to school.. sex in the theater, or those silence booths where kids practice playing their music kids would fool around.
    Class is disrupted because of lil' punks being stupid... almost every class room has 1 trouble maker.. Classes are over crowded. . teacher are not as qualified as most think as well..
    I remember our halls being so stuffed we had problems with girls being touched in highschool, and I remember thinking how easy it would be for someone to stab another person. The dance team made a XXX tape in hs.. Grades where curved alot for athletes.
    I did go to a ghetto school 1-6th grade.. Ive seen bad stuff from there..gangs, beatings, bad teachers.
    I can go on.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i graduated in 1986........ I think the school my daughter is in is a MUCH better school as far as education, teaching methods, etc.... but the drugs are stronger and the morals are lower (natiion wide).

I think it is soooooo much harder to be a teenager today than it was 30 yrs ago.
    Anonymous

• I graduated in 2001. And my sister and aunt were both behind me. So I can tell you it has gotten worse as far as students go... They have cracked down on so many things... Small things like you only have 3 mins to get from one class to the next and no one is allowed to use the bathroom during class... So when exactly are students going to pee, or change pads?? It takes 3 mins to walk from one side of campus to the other already... They also got rid of home room... Which was the time of day when they did things like serve breakfast and offer extra tutoring... As for the actual education, I don't know that it has gotten better or worse... It was always good, but you had to work for it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2010