Is it healthy for a 4 mths old to watch TV?

Imane1215

Asked by Imane1215 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it is. its very stimulating. especially nick jr.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My Dr. told me no TV at all until age 2 and even then only limited shows. I thought that was a bit extreme. All doctors offices have TV's on! I let her watch it but only kids shows that I approve. No sponge Bob or violent cartoons in this house. I say in moderation it's fine. Sprout and Nick Jr. are okay. But even Nick Jr. has some shows that I don't like. Yo gabba gabba is one and Sponge Bob is def another! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The first poster does not know what she is talking about. It is NOT good for infants. It is hardly good for adults.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Honestly, at 6 months I was parking my (immobile) 6 month old nephew in front of noggin (educational, right?) while I did dishes, laundry, etc. for a little while at a time. His doctor said that we shouldn't do that as the images move too quickly for their brains and could lead to ADD/ADHD. So I just started parking him in front of ME doing the dishes or laundry, etc. I talked to him and told him what I was doing. It's great for social skills & vocabulary building as well as see how things workin his big, new world. In between these times, we did tummy-time, me holding toys in front of him playing with him, letting him stand up while I held his fingers, walking around the house describing ALL my worldly possessions, LOL! :) I know it's hard to fill up a lot of their time, but it's only a few more months until they will be crawling and you will be chasing all over the house! Congrats on the baby!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Research shows that it is NOT good, which is why the American Academy of Pediatrics says NO TV until at least 2 yrs old. Some of the research has shown increased risk of ADHD with more TV before 2, there is also a clear correlation between the number of words a child knows and how much the TV is on in their house (even when it seems like the child is not paying any attention to the TV) More TV = fewer vocabulary words

What doodlebopfan says is a good alternative and is much healthier "So I just started parking him in front of ME doing the dishes or laundry, etc. I talked to him and told him what I was doing."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think the first poster was kidding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No. TV before 3 can be damaging.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My doctor also said no TV till 2, but she said obviously that is just what they recommend. I think it is inevitable that will occasionally see it or watch it. TV's are so huge nowdays, they are hard to miss. I know my 7 month old looks at the TV once in a while when we are playing in the living room because it is 57 inches. It is not meant to be a babysitter, but I think some people worry too much. I like what doodlebopfan said about having her watch you do the dishes and stuff. That is a great idea. Also, the pack and plays are nice for when you really need to do some chores and you have a crawler.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my daughter freakin loves spngebob
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 9:17 PM on May. 1, 2010