Anyone eat rabbit??

I have a few rabbits in the freezer and need a good recipe, anyone have any good ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I love rabbit, we used to raise them when I was growing up. Less work then chickens and a lot quieter. lol

I do them like I do chicken, semi sear them in a med high frying pan, then put them into a cake pan, add some seasoning and either vegie or chicken stock, or even some water. About 1/3 the way up the pieces, then cover tight with foil....put into 325 oven for maybe 30 minutes, depending on how cooked they were before they went in. The left over juice makes a great add to gravy, if you're gravy isn't what you'd like it to be (and my gravy sucked for years) I didn't use any salt in the cooking, poured the juice into a saucepan and add a packet or two (depending on how much liquid I had) to it that I dissolved in some cold water and follow the directions.

I've also used rabbit in recipes for chicken pot pies too, wish I could find some down here. I've looked, none to be found.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OP thank you, I will try that. I raised rabbits for a year and have quite a few in the freezer I want to use up. They taste so good!! Thanks again
    Anonymous

• mmm! Cook it like ou would an older chicken. tenderize first and then braise.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my old boss made an AMAZING garlic roast rabbit. I always tried to get him to give up the recipe but he wouldn't. You could try googling it, i found one that is pretty close to what his tasted like on one site.
    My2KidzMom2009

Answer by My2KidzMom2009 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Yes, I usually braise. Start with some pancetta cubed, render it and remove the crunchy bits then sear your rabbit pieces. Next add shallot, carrot, fennel and celery diced fine. Season with salt, pepper, bay leaf, and garlic then add in chicken stock, some red wine and one can of crushed tomatoes. I like to add fresh thyme to this and some fresh parsley toward the end. You can toss in the thyme stems earlier but you have to fish them out with the bay. Braise for about an hour and a half. It is nice to add a little lemon zest at the end too!
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 2:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010