I can't do anything to please this woman!

My DH and I have been living with my parents since our 2 year old was born... This helped us get on our feet, save up some money, and was beneficial for a lot of reasons. BUT, it bugged DH's mom that we were living with MY parents - she has some issues. Anyway, we recently tried to buy our first home, but we were trying to move out of state b/c where we currently live is WAY too expensive for us. MIL freaked that we were moving away, and basically told us not to go b/c it depressed her. She didn't care that it would get us our OWN place. But, the sale fell through, and now we are stuck at my parents' for another year or two while we save up MORE money. And, MIL is freaking AGAIN, saying that we ought to be out on our own. We can't do anything to please her! She acts like we WANT to be with my parents (we don't, we just don't have another option). What can I do to get it through her head that if we could, we would?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• If she is a difficult woman.... then she is a difficult woman; and there is NOTHING you can do.
    Anonymous

• you can't rent somewhere?
    Anonymous

• OP - No, we can't rent. When the home sale fell through (it was a shortsale - ugh), we tried and tried to find a place to rent, here OR where we wanted to move. But nothing in our price range was at all decent (unless we were willing to live in a doublewide trailer that was converted into a duplex in the bad part of town, or deplete what money we HAVE saved for our house downpayment). Plus, we have a large dog, and very few places will take dogs over 25 lbs.
    Anonymous

• If your parents don't have a problem with it and you & your families can live together in order to save money, then there isn't a problem. If your MIL feels that there is a problem, have her son take it up with her. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If I didn't know better, I'd think we had the same MIL. The only thing I can suggest is to try and ignore her as much as possible, it seems nothing you do will suit her. We tend to not see my MIL much, although where we live is right on her way home from work, so sometimes she just drops in on us. Not answering the door doesn't help, the boys here the knock and go open the blasted thing! lol

I'm hoping that one day mine (MIL) will finally accept that the world does not revolve around her, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Good luck though
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The rule about mothers in law...there is NEVER any pleasing them. So don't waste your time worrying about that.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Apr. 30, 2010