Biting advice

My DD is in daycare and she is about to get kicked out for biting. The problem is she never did it until she picked it up at daycare, but she does not do it at home or on playdates, only at daycare. I don't know what to do to stop her since I'm not there. They said I can come sit up there all day and watch her on the camera, but I'm in a job where I can't take off work like that. Any suggestions or advice?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 5:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would think daycare would understand....have you tried to find an in-home daycare? they're usually more accepting and less expensive.....biting is a phase, my 22 month old still does it from time to time. we softly popped my dd's mouth to get the point across that we don't do that...and she learned not to, but if it's only at daycare, then i really don't know what to say...i know with in-home daycare, that they get time outs for biting..but i don't know about regular daycares. good luck
    Anonymous

• It isn't fair to expect you to stop your child from biting if you aren't there. It sounds like your daycare provider is frustrated. Children who aren't able to communicate their needs quick enough will bite. Almost every child will go through this stage. Usually toddler age around 18 months to 2 1/2. Transitions tend to be where the most difficulty occurs. It will take some work on the providers part, but she needs to watch carefully to see what is triggering it. They don't have the cognitive development to know they need to ask for things or verbalize what is happening or what they need. It doesn't take them long to figure out if they bite someone they will get that toy they want back (that they probably had yesterday and still think its theirs... its toddler thinking). Don't punish your child for what is happening at daycare but just talk to them. This too shall pass.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think maybe the daycare needs to keep a better eye on her. It's a phase. PP is right this too shall pass.
    Anonymous

• i have never heard of a daycare center that did not kick out kids for biting. most i have heard of have a 3 bite limit :(
    have you looked into having someone watch your child at your house or their house during the day? imo, your child would get better more personalized care that way.
    i understand your frustrations, theres nothing you can do if you are never there when it happens. can you take a day off and watch like they said?
    better yet, if there are cameras, can they give you a copy of a tape to watch?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• find out who she is biting....did anyone bite her first....or is she only biting at certain times....it might be a phase and it might be she is overwhelmed or frustrated and this is her only way out of it....if there is no trigger for her maybe someone you trust could go and watch the tape in your place....if you need better placement try the local church or elementary school....here they list the in home care centers that are accepting kids and whether there were and issues with them....also try county assistance...sometimes they can give you a list of daycares public and private and a list of any complaints or problems....good luck
    hisjackson

Answer by hisjackson at 10:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010