How much is too much...peanut butter?

My 2.5yo son really likes peanut butter sandwiches. He asks for one most mornings for breakfast, and he'll usually ask for 1-3 more throughout the day at snacks and meals. I try to limit him to 2 of them a day, but sometimes it's all he wants to eat, and at first I figured hey, it's not candy or cookies or complete junk. He will also eat a variety of fruits and some vegetables as well as yogurt, so he gets a serving or two of other things with every "pee butter chammish" as he says, and I limit him to whatever we're eating as a family for supper, but is it a bad thing for him to eat peanut butter sandwiches every single day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• if it is natural PB on whole grain bread, I don't see a problem. You just need to read the labels. some are filled with sugar.
    Anonymous

• like you said... he eats some veggies and yogurt. i think it is fine. my grandmom once told me "if all they'll eat is peanut butter and jelly, then give them pb & j. it isnt going to hurt them". i think it was wise advice. dont worry about it. if it would make you feel better, you could try putting it on whole grain bread. or serving it with some bananas.
    Anonymous

• I suppose not. As long as he does get other things. My son at 4 ate around 3 or 4 everyday after swimming in the pool. He pretty much at one a day from age 1 till now at age 14. He is healthy as a horse although he is a skinny little thing...but, he is just always moving.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Considering peanut butter IS the root of all evil ANY amount is too much
    ;)
    & i'm kidding. i just hate peanut butter lol ;)
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Oh, my son only eats white bread and he eats low cal syrup on his, not jelly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We are pretty broke, it's all store brand not organic, but I do buy whole grain wheat bread.

A normal day for him would be
    breakfast: PB sandwich with a banana and diluted juice
    snack: half a PB sandwich and water
    lunch: half a PB sandwich with an orange, peas and milk
    snack: yogurt and water
    dinner: baked chicken, green beans, and spinach mac and cheese, with diluted juice
    Anonymous

• I say he is doing fine then...his supper more than makes up for it. And he get other things with the sandwich.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• As long as peanuts (and maybe salt) are the only ingredients, and the bread is whole grain, it's fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• you can get peanut butter with no sugar, that isn't organic. we get pretty cheap peanut butte at costco. i like the kind where the ingredients read: peanuts.
    if you can't afford it, then don't worry. do the best you can with fruits and veggies :)
    my son will ask for a pb sandwich for breakfast, but usually that is just his way of saying he is hungry :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Just make sure you clean his hands well if he's eating one in public! My 19 month-old daughter just ended up in the ER because of some peanut butter she came in contact with at the park!!!
    Anonymous