Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get some information on the blood lead test?

My son will be turning two on the 12th of May and when I take him in for his checkup I belive he is scheduled for this test. I really feel it is pointless since I would know if he were poisened by lead. My sister says the test is miserable and I have the right to refuse it. Thoughts?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • This is from WebMD:
    "Lead poisoning usually does not cause symptoms until the level of lead in your blood is very high. Most lead poisoning comes from low levels of exposure over a long period of time."

    From labtestsonline.org
    "the interiors of many houses built before 1978 contain peeling lead paint chips and dust and lead-contaminated water. The soils around the houses and near adjacent roadways may also be affected. Children who live, play, or spend time in these environments are at risk and can bring lead into their bodies by inhaling or ingesting contaminated dust, water, paint chips, and food. Other local sources of lead may be areas near industrial or manufacturing sites."

    Not to mention the potential for lead in children's toys made in foreign countries. Personally, I don't think it's pointless.
    Christina807

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • Of course your child should be tested. How would you know if your child has lead in his system? You have x-ray vision or telepathy and your child's body is sending out signals. There are many sources that can have lead in them and it's very important for a child to be treated right away if there is a problem.


    It's just a fingerstick or blood sample. No big deal.

    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 5:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • I think for the test they have to draw a large vial of blood from the crease of his arm.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • My son who turned two in February never had vials of blood taken from him. He was never tested for this.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • the testing for it is not that bad...and if it was recomended by your childs doctor there has to be a reason..
    MamaSusieQ045

    Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • My oldest had that when he was 1 (it was routine then). It was a simple quick finger prick. Nothing major. But it was pointless because there are signs to lead poisoning and if you know what to look for and live in a newer building then there is really nothing to worry about. We were going to refuse it with our youngest but they didn't want to do it so no problem for us.
    purpleducky

    Answer by purpleducky at 6:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • I thought the test was useless, our home was only 2 years old at the time they wanted to test. All they did was take a little blood in a vial and it was negative. Of course I didn't like the $75 they wanted to charge for it! Lol
    Austinsmom35

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

  • Legally our pedi can't tell us NOT to get it, but he did say that the ONLY case of lead poisoning he's seen in his patients is from a boy, about a year, who's dad had been working on rennovating an old house. The dad had sanded down area's to paint over, and the dust stayed on his clothes when he got home, which exposed the child. He did however agree with our choice to skip the testing. May just be a finger prick, but we found it unnecessary as we live in a home completely free of lead based paint, no one in the house is a painter who might be exposed to old lead based paint, the kids don't play in the dirt, and really would much rather do arts and crafts, or read than play with toys.
    milfalicious08

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

Next question in General Parenting
How much is too much...peanut butter?

Next question overall (Health)
Migraines

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN