Can't breastfeed an adopted baby?

Sure you can. It's not wierd.

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 6:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My girl friend has two adopted sons.... her second son was breast fed exclusively.

Anonymous

• GAILLL!! come on!! get off this pedistol of breastfeeding you have!!! It's great you could do it!!! It's not the only thing a baby needs; It's called LOVE!!!!!!! Pass it on and quit acting like if you don't breastfeed you should be put to death!!! MANY babies are perfectly fine with formula!
    Anonymous

• anon :10... if that is the debate we can go with this...

Hubby never breast fed (mil thinks it is gross) he has an almost photographic memory, was cum laude in college, makes well over $300,000

Step brother breast fed exclusively... barely made it out of h.s... I think some teachers just passed him out. He has never paid a bill of his own, is often stoned, is 37 never held a job more than a year, not married... nice fella, good heart, but an idiot.
    Anonymous

• Babies are perfectly find with formula? Babies have lifelong health consequences because their mothers didn't breastfeed. All the love in the world can't make up for it. Wow are you defensive.

There have been recent commonts by women - "I couldn't breastfeed because I adopted my baby from Tailand." Women may not know they can breastfeed an adopted baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• could you tell me how you can breastfeed a child you adopted? honestly, i don't know too much about breastfeeding. I know it is natural and healthier and how. but that is it. so this is an honest question.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• wow first time i agree with gaill. whats wrong with me. but i formula feed my dd and breastfeed my second. but after all is a choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The baby's suckling at the breast along with pumping will bring the woman's milk in.

To anon with the husband that makes $300K, formula feeding is associated with lifelong health consequences. You have that much money and waste time on cm?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• usually an adoptive mother will start the process before baby comes along if she desires to nurse... You will start using breast pumps & stimulating your nipples.. that way by the time the child arrives you have a supply..

Ive never seen it, but ive read a lot of men being able to breastfeed. Pretty Interesting! Cant believe my husband could had helped out & didnt!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• All Gaill is doing is correcting a misconception. Adopted babies CAN be breastfed. It's a lot of work but CAN be done.

Whether you want to or not is completely up to you. But isn't it better to know your options? NO SUCH THING as too much information.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Well, it's difficult, don't think that you just suckle and milk comes in. Most moms start pumping and take some herbals. When the baby does start, it helps tremendously, and sometimes supplementation is needed tempoarily or on a continual basis. It is worth it, imo, but I don't downplay that there is work involved. It is more difficult if you're just hanging out, wondering when the baby might come, from overseas for example. I know 2 women who did it, 1 had kids before 1 didn't. The 1 who had kids before had no trouble bringing in a full supply, however the 1 who didn't still supplemented through an SNS at the breast, maybe an ounce per feeding. I thought both were awesome!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010