Ok, I just decided to lose weight. I want HELPFUL tips.

Please make all tips practicle and Financially possible. I am on an extremely tight budget. I need food and excercise tips that aren't gonna include me spending loads of cash. Meaning I want things I can do either free or use creative ways to burn fat and lose weight.

AND I DON'T NEED ANY LOSE WEIGHT FAST GIMICKS. I am changing my lifestyle... Not just going on a Diet.
For any of you ladies with helpful information. I will be really grateful. THANK YOU MUCH IN ADVANCE.
Oh btw, I am diabetic and can not go on anything below an 1600 calorie diet. My doctor says that would bottom out my blood sugars and that isn't good either.

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• use a tape measure and check your measurements every month. sometimes you will lose inches and not pounds, so this can help you from being discouraged.
    walking outside is the best exercise! you can always walk faster and/ or longer as you go on. you can even do walk/ jog intervals, jog or run...besides the cost of shoes this is free!
    i love to eat and don't cut back in the evening. carrots and celery are great at night.
    it is very good for you to eat every 3 hours, which is good for diabetics isn't it?
    i wouldn't cut out carbs, but i would eat only brown carbs.
    i love salads with spinach, kale and swiss chard. they are very good for you :)
    good luck on your road to better health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Drink only water, no juice or artificial sweetener. About half an hour before meals drink a glass of ice water. It may help you feel full sooner.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• sparkpeople.com is an amazing (and free!) site that I use to help me lose weight. You can track and count calories, your weight and body measurments, it suggests fitness training and will track your minutes and calories burned. It's such a helpful tool. It's worth a look.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Count calories and pay close attention to portions and fat intake, that is the #1 way to lose. Eat whole grains and limit unhealthy carbs/starches and sugars. Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and fiber. Drink a lot of water every day. Get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. All of these things are lifestyle changes, and just creating new habits and sticking with them will make changes that will last. None of these things will cost you money either, you can ride a bike, walk, go up and down stairs, do yoga or videos online, and come up with all kinds of creative ways to be active with your family and kids as well. Good luck!! :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Yes, lots of water, get out and walk as much as you can, take the stairs, park far away, etc....also, eliminate carbs from dinner, eat lean means and lots of veggies. Stock up on diet friendly snacks, light string cheese, low fat yogurt, raw veggies....get creative....laughing cow light cheese wedges are great on wheat thins or on a toasted light english muffin. Hard boiled eggs are a good snack too. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Don't put gravy on your green beans, lol jk. Seriously tho, don't eat to late in the evening and everything in moderation. I have also heard the if you eat whole grains and eat about half as much as you would normally eat it should help you feel full cause of all the extra grains. Celery is 0 calories, as long as you don't put anything on it or dip it in anything, so if you need a snack but are afraid of all the extra calories try eating some celery(also celery is high in fiber which should help you fill up and stay full longer than eating cookies or chips or something like that) Good Luck
    Anonymous

• Weight Watchers online is something like $18.00 a month. They have tons of recipes and support. Not sure if that is in your budget but it really works!! It is a healthy lifestyle change. You can try it for a few months and stop if you can't afford it but the whole concept works great!!
    Anonymous

• cut out everything processed and anything with HIGH FRUCTOSE in it.

theres this website(free) that will help you balance how much carbs, proteins, and fats you consume a day. it will also give you recipees (free) based on a the diet you choose. like vegan diabetic, low fat, low cholesterol and so on. you also get to choose the amount of calories you want to have and will give you a days meal based on those numbers. its a REALLY good website. it took me forever to find something like this that was FREE. theres also a support system like a community and groups that you can join.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/
    starryey3s

Answer by starryey3s at 6:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Cut back all bad carbs

Answer by louise2 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I went to look at your profile to see if we could go walking together. But I'm in CT and I'm pretty sure you are not. What I did find out from your profile is your Christian belief. My minister lost about 50 pounds by praying about it, and as he put it "joining Weight Watchers with Jesus". Maybe that would help you too!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010