Is it harmful to the fetus to not take a prenatal vitamin?

I'm 9, almost 10 weeks pregnant and have been too sick to eat hardly anything for the past two weeks. My prenatal vitamins say they have to be taken with food, but since I haven't been able to eat but a bite or two, I haven't been taking them.

KaMomma

Asked by KaMomma at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• try flintstones vitamins until the nausea goes away
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• no, take them when you can, try a flinstones chewable or gummy if you're worried

feel better soon
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I had the same problem. I would take them right before I went to bed so I would sleep through the nausea.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I didn't get "morning sickness" with my son, but taking prenatal s made me sick so my doctor told me to take Flintstones chewable vitamins. Maybe you should try it.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You need folic acid. It may be too late now for some birth defects. In earlly pregnancy you need folic acid for the spinal cord to develop right. Here is info from March of Dimes:

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/19695_1151.asp

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I had really bad morning sickness too, I started taking Flintstones chewables, 2 per day and I can handle them quite well and my morning sickness was soo bad I was taking zofran.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You need to find a way to get folic acid... my dr gave me folic acid pills and told me not to take the prenatals because I lost 10 lbs in the first 13 weeks! I couldn't eat because I'd throw up, well, I threw up anyways... I got those pills at about 8 or 9 weeks and my dd is fine. I didn't start taking prenatals until I was 20 weeks along.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You do need folic acid, but there are other ways of getting it. Here's a website: http://www.wheatfoods.org/AboutWheat-list-of-foods-with-folic-acid/Index.htm I didn't take any prenatal vitamins with my baby and she turned out to be 7lbs 13oz with no health problems. but I think I was just a fortunate one.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I didn't take them at all while I was pregnant. I did however eat a tun of sandwiches and cereal. There is plenty of folic acid in those items. But if you aren't eating then yes you need something. The only reason they say that you need to eat is so that all of the vitamins are absorbed properly. I hope you feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The cheapest prenatals at Walmart can be taken on an empty stomach and never made me sick, and I had terrible morning sickness with all 3 babies. I just took my vitamin before bed because there was no way I'd keep it down during the day. My dr was fine with the over the counter generic prenatal I was taking. Give that a try. It is way better for your baby than not taking any at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010