Children who are just starting on table food..

There are obviously going to be times when your child cannot eat what the rest of the fam is eating, like if it's something too spicy, or tough, or salty, ect ect.. So my question is what do you give them instead? I have been giving my son the little Gerber meals, but they only make them in like 4 different varieties so I just wanted to see what some of you do in this situation so I can mix it up and give him a variety.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had chicken nuggets on hand for those days. I did not do that often but maybe once a week. You can also have mac n cheese on hand for those days. Keep any small amounts of food that you have left over from meals that your child enjoy in the week also.
    I never used any of the baby foods or toddler meals. That are two many other things that you can do for your child without using them.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would give them chicken that I mushed with a fork. Steamed veggies, fruit.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I give my DD little bits or cooked carrot, cauliflower, potato etc... I cook it so it's mushy enough for her to eat but still solid enough for her to pick up with her fingers.

At restaurants I bring cheerios and baby mum mums for her to snack on while we eat and it keeps her happy.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'll microwave a sweet potato. I freeze little amounts of leftover meat. I fed 3 kids and now a grandbaby and never used a jar of food.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Ooh the sweet potato sounds like a good idea!! My son hates mac and cheese.. I think it's the texture because he does well with cheese on anything else. I rarely have left overs because i'm feeding 4 people lol but maybe i'll just have to "up" the amount of food I am cooking so that I can hold on to some. The reason I started using the Gerber meals is because I picked up a few when we had to make a 12 hour drive when my hubby came home from Iraq, so those were quick and easy on the road and he seemed to love them. But now I am really tiring of them.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Steamed Veggies. (Carrots, Green Beans, Peas, Corn)
    Soft Fruits. (Banana, Peaches)
    Mashed Potatoes.
    If you can manage to cook chicken tender enough to mash with a fork like a previous post suggested, you could do that.
    You can also do cottage cheese.
    Soft Bread.
    Noodles cooked to a soft consistancy.
    Boxed stuffing mix.
    Pudding
    Jello
    Yogurt
    Applesauce
    Fruit Cups

That's all I can think of at the moment. Maybe google suggestions if you don't get any more answers on here.

My suggestion is to allow your child to eat table food even while out at restaurants. This is so that they continue to develop their eating habits as they mimic those around them. This will also give you a chance to try new foods with them that you might not have at home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I usually made homemade mac and cheese and froze it in little baggies,,, I am not a big baby food person,, I most of the time used the food processor to feed him what we were having,, and yes you can grind up pizza,,LOL If we were having tacos I would just set out a bit before I added peppers and what not,, IDK I only have one kiddo,,and honestly he will try Anything,,brothers kiddos,, babyfood raised are so picky. As PP said a baked sweet potato is a great option as well,,,,They grow up too fast!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We keep fish sticks, chicken fries, chicken nuggets and a some other easy stuff to make up. I keep mac and cheese in the freezer so that I have easy stuff as well as whipping up some veggies.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We just always kept a bunch of fresh, soft things on hand... bananas, avocado, bread and crackers, things to spread on bread and crackers (cream cheese, refried beans...) other fruits, cooked carrots, tofu, canned beans, etc. on hand. If you have introduced yogurt, there's always that. I think the Gerber meals are kind of icky -- not saying that to be mean, but just that my kids have always made faces.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would just buy bags of frozen veggies to keep on hand & steam a little bit of them. Super cheap & easy!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2010