I am breast feeding and want stop but don't know how?

I know it sounds stupid,lol but please understand I have classes, a job, and I am a single parent.. Is there a step by step on how to wing him off... No sippy cups please! He is 13 months..i willing to try some techniques that have worked with mothers who has went throug this process. I know he will fuss and scream through out the night. I am prepared!

christinkie

Asked by christinkie at 6:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why no sippy cups, he is over a year?
    Anonymous

• I would skip the sippy cups. You might want to try a straw. It's nothing like the breast and nothing like a bottle or sippy cup would be, so your baby might be more open to the idea.
    Anonymous

• I was a single mother and grad student with 2 other kids and it was much easier to breastfeed and have a happy, healthy toddler.

What do you mean no sippy cups? Of breast milk?

Going cold turkey isn't recommended for you or your child. Weaning gradually will allow your supply to decrease slowly. The night nursings would be the last to go.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Why is everyone against sippy cups? I mean its your choice and you know best for your baby, I am just curious, is there a reason or you just don't like sippy cups?
    Anonymous

• I don't like sippy cups because they're one more habit to break, they are a pain to take apart and clean, and they can screw with the teeth. One of my kids had sippy cups and one didn't. It was so much easier without them.
    Anonymous

• I don't want try sippy cups cause it's another attachment that I will have to break later.... I don't want his teeth to go bad.
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 6:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Why is everyone harping on her about sippy cups? It's her choice...it doesn't even have anything to do with the question she asked! The way I weaned my son was just cut out a feeding a day, keeping the nap time feedings and the bed time feedings. It is hard (and it hurts a little, physically for a while). Your baby will adjust. My son did amazingly well and I nursed him until he was 10 1/2 mths. I stopped bc he was biting me to the point of bringing blood. Good luck...I hope this helps.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I actually stopped cold turkey, but my DD was taking her BM in a bottle. It was a little painful for a few days. You do what you think is necessary.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I started weaning my DD around 15 months. I just dropped 1 feeding a day every 3 days. I never got engorged and it was easy on both me and my DD.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• With both of my children, I slowly began decreasing the number of times per day that they nursed. The night time feedings were the last to go.
    Anonymous