Can I relactate?

I never formula fed my baby, she's now 5 and I really want to breastfeed... can i relactate??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 5 years or 5 months?
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• What? Never formula fed? 5 days, months? How has she survived?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• yes years months weeks. and yes you can relactate
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• she's 5 years and I meant I never breastfed.... only formula fed until she was old enough to eat reg food then she tried to stop drinking formula all together. But everyones been saying you can lactate so how do I get started? No, another baby isn't a possibility, when she was born they had to do a hysterectomy and I just want to breastfeed on baby.
    Anonymous

• k 5 ys thats just gross. you lost the chance get over it. i didnt bf my first and she is 3 yrs old and not gonna relacted just cuz i feel sad i didnt breastfeed. do you also plan putting the kid on diapers and in a crib?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sure, you can relactate. An electric pump cam bring in your milk. I don't know if you can get a 5 year old to nurse. It won't be socially accepted very well. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You might have more luck taking some milk increasing supplements like fenugreek or mother's milk tea (or both ) and pumping like crazy and giving it to her in a cup; not that I think nursing a 5 year old is wrong, but she may not cooperate, and then you have to teach her how to latch without biting, etc. I would definitely get in touch with a lactation consultant or La Leche League and go from there.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 7:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• IF you get a doctor to write you a script for domperidone that would really help you... It's not in the U.S. much but you can get it from Canada.. You would also need to pump a lot.

I have to tell you getting a 5 year old to latch would be difficult, so you'd probably be better off pumping and putting the milk in a cup.

Also look at lots of baby pictures and start imagining yourself as a new mom. The mental part of it IS part of it. You need to imagine your daughter needs the milk. DOES your daughter need it? Does she have cancer or something? (serious question)

Yes, you could relactate.
    Anonymous

• You could. But to what purpose? There's no baby on your horizon.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You could, but it's really difficult without a baby to suckle, and at five, she's VERY likely much too old to learn how to nurse.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 9:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010