Anyone take classes strictly online from an online school?

I enrolled at my local community college but was turned down for financial aid and that determined if I was going back or not. I am bummed :( My hubby got his hours cut at work (damn economy!) and we are making it but barely it seems. So I have been STRESSED because I am 7 months pregnant and the hospital in my town told me that I have to come up with 3,500 before I have the baby (still don't know what the hell to do about that) and today I may have got the "answer to my prayers" but I don't know how legitimate these colleges are or if I get my degree/certificate from this college if my employers will accept it... Anyone have any suggestions? It's uscareerinstitute.com I have looked them up and they seem to be legit. I just don't know what to do (This is kind of a vent too) I am depressed about the whole thing...

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

I would stick with the community college, and look for scholarships on your own: http://www.fastweb.com/ is a great place to start.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You need to find out if they are accredited; I would not attend if they are not. My dh attends Western Governors University and I attend Central Texas College. His school is completely online and mine has a strong online program. We both use the GI Bill and they will only pay out for accredited colleges.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm looking at APUS or American Public University. It's the online military school but they also have programs for non-military. Make sure whatever school you choose is regionally and nationally accredited.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:41 PM on May. 12, 2010