how would you tell your son his dad is die

my son's dad died 2/15/10

lovingheart26

Asked by lovingheart26 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• was he in his life at all?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I had to sit my kids down and tell them individually that their daddy had died. They were 7, 5, and 1 at the time.
    I told them the truth... in terms of what they would understand.
    I told them that daddy's heart quit working (he had a heart attack), and that I called the ambulance.. and they took daddy to the hospital.. and that the doctor's did everything they could .. but daddy's heart didn't work anymore.. and that he had died. I also told them that daddy loved them very much.. and would miss being with them... but he would always be in their memories.. and hearts ..
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 3:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• If he died that long ago....shouldn't you have told them already? why hasn't this come up? Also, how old is your son? what was his involvement with Dad?

My dad was an alcoholic with only sporatic involvement/visitations. We never had visitation alone, my mom was always there. I always had issues with not really liking him. I was the one who could care less for the most part if we saw him or not. My sister, who is 3.5 years younger than me on the other hand had a harder time of it all. So, when my Dad died, I was 18 (i believe). I know I was over 18...but I think barely. My sister would have been 14. My mom got a phone call from one of his friends. We were both there. You could tell by the little she said and just her tone that something had happened. I knew before she was off the phone he had died. My sister and I both broke down crying...and writing this I am crying.

cont.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I made all the arrangements for the funeral and tried to get ahold of old friends that could be pall bearers because there are not very many living male relatives on that side of my family. My sister was a MESS. My mom and my sister's boyfriend at the time practically carried her up to the casket and back during the family viewing. Saying she was distraught is an understatement. As I said, I handle things differently. I rarely cry about things (more now that I am a mommy). Either way, it was hard but VERY important that my sister and I get that closure. My sister still is not able to help me pick out a head stone for his grave....so we havent done it yet and it has been a years. I should probably know the year he died...i just remember the day.
    As someone else said, you have to be honest. your son deserves that. However, I dont understand how this hasn't come up before. Its been 2 months....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010