Would you leave someone if they're parents didnt want to be involved in their grandchilds life..but were involved with his other child?

why? or why not?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 7:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Leave them, no! It is a real source of angst though. I think the true angst come from situations where one spouse dismisses that it's a problem. Barring situations where the marriage is broken from within (infidelity, abuse, etc), I've always felt... I love my family, but I chose to love my husband. "Honor thy mother and father" is a noble way to live, but in my mind it does not apply if they are doing things to destroy your marriage. That badge of honor does not belong with someone who could act so selfish or narrowminded. Penalizing innocent children because you love your son or daughters ex more than you do their present spouse is pathetic and it is exacerbated when a husband and wife are divided because of that. Standing up to or giving tough love to a parent, does not mean you are not honoring them, but it can have serious costs.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 7:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• no. i'm not married to the parents. just live a happy life with you SO and avoid his parents.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 7:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would hope he would say something and step up for your child together.
    My In laws are kind of like that...they totally favor my nephew over our kiddos...but I think it's because it's thier daughters' son ...
    Anonymous

• wow thats not right on the grandparents side. I dont know if I would leave. I would rather keep my child and husband under one roof. I would just steer clear of the grandparents so the child wouldnt notice the unfairness. Its their loss.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i think if you love that person dont allow the parents to destroy your relationship. i went through the same thng and its not easy but if the parents don want to be a partof your childs life thn they are not worth it ... live your lives normal without them and exclude them for everything
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 7:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'm not married to his parents. So no, I wouldn't leave him.
    Anonymous

• Thank you,for your answers I'm so confused about the whole thing I feel like i have resentment towards my so and his childs mother,but i just need to get it in my head that its their loss,I just cant see myself being with someone for hte rest of my life hwos family has nothing to do with me or my daughter
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I know exactly what your going through! we moved halfway across the country to live closer to my husbands parents and they dont give two S****s about us! We totally werent expecting that and even though my parents live 1400miles away they are way more involved and see my son way more then they do, and they live 25 mins away! It's so frustrating but I would never leave my husband for it, it's not his fault he's just as upset about it as I am.
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• no i wouldnt leave him but i would hope he would have the balls to stand up to his parents and tell them they need to show the kids equal love or attention. It could be though that if they are older and your child is an infant they are not capable of taking care of them. My grandparents are in there late 60's and early 70's and let my son spend the night but will not let my sisters 2 yr old spend the night. They just say they don't have the energy to care for a todler. I can understand that but i don't think my sister does.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• their not they're
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 8:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2010