I need help potty training my 3 year old son!!!

My 3 year old son has been doing really well wearing his underwear during the day. He still wears diapers at night and when we go on long trips. Lately though he has been peeing on his floor. He has used his little potty a million times for both pee & poop so I know he knows where he is supposed to go. Should I discipline him when he pee's on the floor? When I ignore it he doesnt know its wrong. So, im very confused & can use any advice!

luvinmyboys03

Asked by luvinmyboys03 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son started doing the same thing. He knew thats the bath was were he had to go poop or pee, but for some reason he started pooping and peeing all other my floor. so i started to discipline him, i gave him time out and. OH also everything he used the potty me and my husband well yell yay and clap our hands, when he did it on the floor we wouldent, and i will put him in time out, after a couple of time outs, he learned, also when he pooped on the floor i made him grab toliet paper and clean it up. he didnt like doing that so he learned fast..lol.. good luck
    Anonymous

• If you know that he knows where he is supposed to go, I think it is time now to say "I know you know where the potty is. The next time you pee outside of it, you are going to have to clean it up". And then give him a rag and spray some soap solution on it and let him clean away. He might think THAT is fun for a couple of times, but after 2 or 3 clean ups, he'll probably figure out that peeing in the potty is easier.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would discipline him. Nothing too drastic, but he should at least have to clean up his own mess and sit in time out, or whatever you do. He knows what to do. When you say he pees on his floor, I'm imagining that he pulls down his pants and pees on his floor, but do you mean he wets his pants? That would be a slightly, but only slightly, different story. But whipping it out (sorry) and peeing on the floor, he knows better for sure.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• my son used to think it was cool to pee outside, his dad did it one time, so everyday he would pee outside and if it was cold he would pee behind the chair, he got to clean it up, then he got time out, it didn't seem to phase him. My mom suggested telling him that only big boys got to wear underwear during the day and use the potty, babies got to wear diapers and were not allowed to ride bikes or go outside. it took a while for him to get the picture but he got it. someone told me once its in every male to just do this kinda stuff and its in every mom to not let it continue. good luck...
    hisjackson

Answer by hisjackson at 10:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010