When do kids stop putting everything in their mouths?

Her toys, rocks, shoes. She leans forward, opens her mouth, and puts her mouth on the dog. She's always done it, and it's sometimes really funny, but it seems like even more of a fascination lately! She's 16 months.

StellarJKD

Asked by StellarJKD at 8:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, my first daughter was like that and I think it got better sometime after two... She still puts things in her mouth, though. With my little one I was surprised that she never really did it. I mean OF COURSE she explored with her mouth as an infant but at 19 months it's already kind of rare... So I guess you have one of the orally-fixated ones. She will grow out of it, partly at least.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Usually that stops around a year.
    Anonymous

• my almost 7 year old still chews on things....
    Anonymous

• My daughter stopped around 15 mo. and then started back up again a month or two later when she cut her molars and then stopped again.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'd say about a year and a half. But enjoy her not putting things in her mouth while it last. Because teenagers are bottomless pits!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010