worried about my 4 week old kitten

So i just got a 4 week old kitten whose mother was hit by a car. It was taken to the vet this morning and is healthy, and eating fine, however has not peed or pooped since I had him. He was found yesterday and to the best of everyones knowledge did not go then, and has for sure not done anything since 9am today, but has ate 12 ml of fluids. At what point should I be worried about him not peeing or pooping. I know at 4 weeks the mother usually still stimulates them to go which I've tried, but still nothing. Any advice?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Pets

• warm water right there, is he drinking enough fluids. i had a 4 week old kitten i had to bottle feed. use a warm towel and make it seem like lieking right there, should help
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Such a young kitten does require stimulation to urinate and defecate after each nap and feeding. If they aren't stimulated their bowels and bladder will empty on an overflow basis which is unhealthy for the kitten and cause significant discomfort. You can use all natural, unscented baby wipes to stimulate this kitten to eliminate, this is a job normally done by mom licking the anal and genital areas repeatedly. It's important that you wipe the kitten from genitals to bottom repeatedly, you don't want to risk getting any fecal bacteria into the kitten's urinary tract and causing a painful infection. Most kittens will respond quickly to the stimulation and urinate almost immediately, getting little ones to defecate can take some time, persistence and patience, but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010