U shaped placenta?

anyone else have this? any ideas on why? or what it could cause? doctor didn't say anything really about it... needless to say he wasn't a good doctor!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No placenta is perfectly round. Sometimes they are a little less symmetrical than we're used to. It's not a big deal, it's the way the cord inserts into the placenta that's important (you want it to be firmly planted in the middle-ish of the placenta, and not on the edge, or hanging on by the vessels).

I agree that your doctor should have described this to you and told you it wasn't a big deal. I hate it when doctors don't have the time of day for their patients. Thus I see midwives :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Mine uterus is squash shaped. They never told me what it means but im assuming they are all just shaped different.
    Nessasmomma

Answer by Nessasmomma at 9:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My first baby's placenta was heart-shaped.
    The midwives all crowded around and oogled it, lol!!

Sounds like yours might be similar -ish...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i had a u shaped, they called it horseshoe. did you already birth it, or did they see it on the ultrasound? mine did not completely detach, so it had to be manually extracted. mine was at least as big as my twins double placenta! we believe that our first pregnancy with the u shaped placenta was actually a twin pregnancy at first. i spotted one drop of blood each day, until i passed a clot at 3 months. of course we had no ultrasounds, so it is just our belief.
    i don't think it indicates a problem.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2010