My 2 year old tells me she's hungry ALL THE TIME!

What do I do? I give her meals and snacks and she refuses to eat 80% of what I offer, even if it's what she specifically asked me for. But literally every 10-30 minutes she comes up to me and says "Hungry? Hungry? Mommy, hungry!"

I'm at my wits end with this. I try so hard to feed her healthy foods, but she picks and chooses, eats just a few bites and then tells me she's hungry again 15 minutes later. It's driving me nuts!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put out the healthy stuff and tell her this is what she gets to eat. If you need to put it away for food safety reasons,. take the same thing out every time she says she's hungry.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Ditto to gdiamante. Offer her what's good and when she's hugry enough, she'll eat it. Kids won't starve themselves.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I hate to encourage too much tv but I find that if I put something on that my daughter likes to watch during meal time she sort of zones out and eats whatever is on her plate.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Angie, I've actually tried that, and she just gets distracted and doesn't eat at all lol. She's like her father... she has a very casual relationship with food. She could take it or leave it, really, and she did not inherit my sweet tooth (thank goodness).

Tonight she didn't want to eat dinner, so I offered some apples and stuck by it. She didn't take more than a few bites, but I have a feeling she will eat her eggs really well tomorrow morning lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Have you tried drinks when she does that? Sometimes, thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Get her a cup of something to drink, and if she's still hungry 10 minutes later then try a snack. When my oldest was little, I could ALWAYS tell when he needed more fluids in him because on those days he would come to me swearing he was hungry but only eat a few bites, then come back a short time later saying he was hungry again. I'd get him a cup of something to drink and it worked every time. His hunger would go back to normal. Try getting her something to drink instead and see what happens.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Krysden, good idea. I do offer drinks a lot, but she tends to forget that she has a cup of something to drink until she sees me drinking something lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2010