Obama "I do think at some point you've made enough money."

Obama went "off teleprompter" today. In reference to his financial reform plans, he was supposed to say:

"Now, we’re not doing this to punish these firms or begrudge success that’s fairly earned. We don’t want to stop them from fulfilling their responsibility to help grow our economy."

but he said instead:

"We’re not, we’re not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that’s fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you’re providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy."

So how much is enough money? Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The only person who can decide when I've made enough money is me. Not you and certainly not the government.

When Obama goes off teleprompter is when we see the real Obama. So, while this is an off-the-cuff remark, I take this comment as something that he truly believes for the rest of us. I don't see him capping his earnings and living off what he currently has now for the rest of his life, giving everything else to the less fortunate. But I don't expect him to unless he expects me to. If he's going to talk the talk, he'd better walk the walk.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Anonymous

• Spread the wealth. Just as he told Joe the plumber.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If you are earning money and someone takes it away, no matter how much it is, isn't that stealing?
    Anonymous

• How many millions did the Obama's earn last year? I wonder if he and his wife are going to refuse any further royalties from his books, or payment from any employment they hold now or in the future because "they've made enough money." I mean really, if they make more are they not just greedy capitalists? Should his book earnings not be given to people who have never written books and won't ever earn so much money?
    Anonymous

• How many millions did the Obama's earn last year?

I think I heard it was about $5 mil. Wanna bet he caps earnings at $6 mill?!?!
    Anonymous

• That's really disturbing.... I have no desire to become a millionaire, but if someone does, that's their life and they should have the freedom to do it. If you take away a man's right to make money by taking it from him, and you take away a man's MOTIVATION to make money by giving it to him, what do you have left but a place where NOBODY wants to be independent and work hard towards a gaol???
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• For some people it is never enough money. And it sually results in being greedy and dishonest in order to have MORE MORE MORE.
    Anonymous

• So the next question is..WHat happens when the rich are no longer rich? There is only so much wealth to go around so what happens when it's gone? I realize it's not likely to happen in reality but who do you tax when the wealthy have been bled dry?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Well then lets start with him, he makes far to much money for the piss poor job he is doing.

I can't figure out why some people can't see that he is a socialist. 

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2010