3 year olds and spitting......?

my 3yr old spit in my face the other day and even leaned into to make sure it got me, then he ran! what would you do if your 3yr old did it to you? i heard it is 3 yr old behavoire but im not sure. what would you do??

19_klayton

Asked by 19_klayton at 9:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow... no I don't think that's average 3-year-old behavior.... seems to me he would have to learn it from somewhere, and I don't think it's EVER appropriate for a child of any age to intentionally be so rude and disrespectful to his mother. I would have a serious talk with him about why it is so wrong and let him know if he does it again he will get a spanking. And if he does it again, he WOULD get one.
    Anonymous

• Without thinking, I would have popped him in the mouth and had a stern talking. That is wrong and gross. I wouldn't even have hesitated. I am not one to pop or spank alot, but, spitting in my face would get immediate action.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Immediate response. Chase his butt down and put him in time out, take him home (if you're somewhere fun), put him in his room by himself. Tell him that you don't like that and you won't be around him if that is how he is going to treat you.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Whoop him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I'm having problems with my almost 3 year old. He has been spitting at his brother, his 9 year old aunt who was living with for the past six months and on toys! I'm at my wits end! I put I'm in time out, taken away toys! Nothing is working yet! He has cut back on it, but not quit. I don't know what I would do if he spit in my face!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Mine would get their butt swatted, talked to about how rude and disrepectful it was. and if it happened again, he or she would get swatted again and would not get to go anywhere fun for a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Spitting at this age is due to anger and the lack of coping skills to deal with it. Here is where you come in. This is unexceptable behavior to say the least. I would have taken him straight to the bathroom sink, and said this is where we spit! Then made him spit 27 times in a row...seriously, make him spit many many times. Then sit him in time out for 3 minutes. When the time is up, ask him what a better choice would have been rather than spitting at you. Tell him it is ok to be angry, but never ok to be disprespectful or spit at others.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010