Is it bad that my toddler is unfriendly?

My 2 1/2 yr old has never been outgoing but she's downright unfriendly. She'll scream at strangers that talk to her, yell at kids that try to talk to her and even people that we know that she doesn't know well she will stand behind me and scowl at them.
I'm not an outgoing person but I think I'm friendly. I just don't understand where this is coming from or if it's just her personality. Advice??

we2angels

Asked by we2angels at 9:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow...I don't know what to tell you. My 22 month old is the polar opposite of your daughter. My dd is overly friendly. She waves at everyone she sees, and smiles at them. The whole neighborhood adores her.

Your daughter may be picking up vibes from YOU. Are you sure you're not giving off signals that tell your daughter to be unfriendly?

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• yea, i'm aware a lot of kids are over friendly. i have a nephew like that. if it's all the result of your parents then i would be the same as my sister and my kid would be the same as my nephew. i am not hateful, i don't scream at people... i don't know where this comes from with her! :(
    we2angels

Answer by we2angels at 10:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• don't worry, out of my three boys 2 were anti-social, one still is, it's part of them, mine used to punch everyone that came near me and the other would head but any one, and i mean anyone that was too close, my anti-social child is now 9, and i don't make excuses or try to change him, i just tell everyone he is anti-social, my ped. told me that kids and dogs are the best judge and sometimes if the parents just accept the odd behavior and not try to change it, life would be easier, he was right, if i had listened to my son and accepted his visions of people life would have been much better, yours might out grow it, just don't stress about it, she might just be picking up on something you aren't, my kids know when people are drinking or high before i do, that's when they are most anti, it might truly be the people and not your kid
    hisjackson

Answer by hisjackson at 10:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• yanno i feel bad for ya, I have a little cousin who was like this and honestly we all thought she was rude. I wish i had some advice other than the simple rule of thumb that it is rude not to say helloi when spoken to. now of course if someopne makes her uncomfortable thats one thing, but a friendly person that you both know saying hi and she scowls at them, then thats to be corrected. good luck and I am sure its a phase.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2010