Help my daughter has a big squishy bump on her head

When I gave my daughter a bath last night I noticed a hudge Squishy bump on the side of her head... She bumped her head earlier in the day but she didnt even cry so I didnt think she hit it that hard... This bump is very large and it is squishy almost like there is fluid in it... I thought fer sure she would get up today and the bump would be beter but its not... She isnt acting weird but this bump has me going crazy. She has a dr apointment in the morning but in the meantime Im going nuts.. Is a big SQUSHY bump ok??? She will be a year old on sat. Poor Katie happy birthday here is a big bump on yr head :(

candlefire22

Asked by candlefire22 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the doctor for all head injuries.
    Anonymous

• I did she has a dr apointment first thing tomarrow morning
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Can you see the color of skin? If it's reddish or purplish it could be a hematoma, which is a collection of blood. This can be caused by bleeding beneath the skin, but usually goes away on it's own. A fatty tumor also feels like that, but doesn't just appear overnight. Is it possible it was there before and you just noticed it? As long as she's not having odd symptoms (eyes dilating unevenly, too much, or too little, headaches, overly sleepy....) she should be fine to wait for her doctor's appointment. If you do see any odd symptoms, take her in to ER, but it sounds like it's been a day and she's been fine, so I think she'll be fine another day.
    (RN)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010