Do I only ovluate for 1 day?

Really?.. only 1 day? does that mean i only get 1 day to actually TRY?.. Im confused.. I thought I had a full week?.. Someone please explain this to me?.. Both the kids I have now just happened, of course we wanted them but we never really PLANNED them.. Its sad I know so little about my own body!.. I thought, once the egg is released from the overary and goes thro the F tube and gets to the uterus is one week, and in that week I can become pregnant.. Is that not correct?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Your egg, once out of the ovary, is viable for 24 hours. However, you have more than 1 day to have sex to get pregnant. Since sperm live for several days, up to 3, I believe, then as long as there's a sperm available when your egg is viable, you can get pregnant. You do not get 1 week. It can take a week for a fertilized egg to travel down to the uterus to implant, but it cannot accept a sperm that whole week, only 24 hours.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OP here, so how do I know when that egg is infact in that 24 hour window?
    Anonymous

• the best thing to do is have sex every other day!! good luck momma
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• sperm can live for up to a week under optimal conditions. so you can (in theory) have sex a week before you ovulate and still get pregnant. My daughter was from sex that was four days before I ovulated. There is also a chance that you will release two eggs, (one from each ovary), and then you might have a MAX of 48 hours. But that is usually what happens with fraternal twins and is not something that happens to everyone..

So let's say you ovulate on day 14 of your cycle (day one being the first day of your period). You have at MAX from day 7 until day 15 to get pregnant (more likely from day 10-14). Then by day 21 the fertilized egg makes it to your uterus where it implants (some people may have implantation bleeding or a 'mini period' that day, some don't). Then by day 28 you can pee on a stick. Of course 28 days is an average and every woman is different (before my kids I was a 27 day-er).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on May. 1, 2010

• If you want to know when you ovulate (when your window is) I HIGHLY recommend the book: "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler (look it up on Amazon.com). It explains everything and shows you how to chart for YOUR body. It really should be required reading for every woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• your highest peak IS only a day. but you ovulate durring a week. kwim?
    try here momma. it worked each time for me i got pregnant the first try and im now expecting #4.
    http://www.ovulation-calendar.net/
    yummy_mommy89

Answer by yummy_mommy89 at 10:31 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Actual ovulation is a split second event. Following ovulation your egg is viable for 24 hours, but it begins to break down after the first 12 hours. Sperm *can* live in the female body for 5 days but it's morphology and motility is greatly decreased after 48 hours. You just can't depend on it to be viable for pregnancy 3-4 days post ejaculate [unless of course you don't want to become pregnant and then those little buggars will become ironmen. :) ]

Unless you have an ultrasound immediately before ovulation and immediately after ovulation, there is no sure fire way to tell when you've ovulated. You can use an ovulation prediction test (OPT. similiar in nature to an hpt) which will tell you when you are having an LH surge. Ovulation, if it's going to happen, will happen approximately after the LH surge. Some things to remember with OPT is that it detects an increase of LH that could have occurred 12 hours, 6 hours, 23 hours
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 11:51 AM on May. 1, 2010

• before you tested. You can't get a positive OPT and think to yourself "Hey, I've got 24 hours before I ovulate" because your surge could have happened 23 hours before your test, or 1 hour before your test. So when you use an OPT, you need to use them at regular 24 hour intervals. Also consider that a follicle doesn't always ovulate an egg. Sometimes the follicle can regress and keep it's egg, which means it doesn't ovulate. This is why I said that you can only be absolutely sure about ovulation with an u/s.

So how do you optimize your chance of becoming pregnant? Chart your cycle to see how long it is. Most women ovulate 2 weeks BEFORE their period. Not two weeks after their period. If you cycle is 26 days, for example, then you ovulate on day 12. Make sense?

Around the time of ovulation it's recommended that you have sex every 48 hours. You can do every 24 hours but keep in mind that too much sex can irritate the
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 11:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• the vagina and release histamines that can inhibit fertilization. Also, there is more chance the penis will push bacterium into the vagina and cause an infection.

Good luck!
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Thank you so much Linds2Horse! Very helpful!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 2, 2010