Does your dh let you drive late at night?

AArrgg!!! My dh WON'T let me drive to go pick up HIS kids (teenagers) at least late at night bc we all have things to do and by the time everything is said and done it will be around 10:00 we should be home by 11:30 if I do go pick them up (dh has to work or else he would go get them) anyway he is afraid something could go wrong and he won't be able to get to me... I can understand where he is coming from but damn I am just going and coming I don't know if I should be happy to have someone like him or be mad. what do think ladies either way I can't go and I'd hate to go behind his back and something happens omg I would not be able to forgive myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• There is always the chance with anyone that something MIGHT happen. But it probably won't. If it did he couldn't logically blame you.
    I think he is being a little over the top. He doesn't need to control that way. like you said, its just coming and going. Driving is driving.
    My dh doesn't LOVE me driving ANY TIME... but that is just needless worry, and he doesn't ever try to stop me from it. I drive where I need to when I need to. He knows that is just how life goes. I would worry if he was driving our son at night just being a worried mom, but if he had to then so be it.
    He needs to work out what is convenient for the family... sees like he has needless anxiety and maybe should talk to someone about it. :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'm confused. He's more worried about you driving at night than he is about his kids being stranded somewhere?

Do you pose any special risks when driving at night such as from a medication or poor night-vision?
    Anonymous

• It is my car , my gas and I can drive anywhere and anytime I want to. My husband has his own car and can do the same. We both have cell phones if there is trouble. I don't often drive late at night but sometimes I will end up driving back from a nearby state and don't get home until midnight.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 10:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I drive when ever where ever I want to I have a cell phone so I am good
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I have better night vision than he does.

I drive where I want when I need. I have my own truck
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Well I am adult and I do as I please. My husband spends lots of time worried about me. HOwever I wonder if it is all talk. He worries all the time about so many things.
    I however am a night timer so me driving at night is non issue.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I understand where he's coming from, but he has to understand that you're an adult doing a favor for him. You have the right to drive wherever you want whenever you want. You have that right by aquiring a driver's license and simply being an independent adult. I think it's great he worries about you like that, knowing that something could go wrong. However, keeping you locked up at night isn't going to keep something from happening. You're doing him a favor by toting around his kids. He should be happy that you're willing to do that for him. If you want to go out and you want to drive them back to where they need to go, then let him know. Don't let him hold you down with fear. Call him when you get to each desintation or put him on speaker phone while you're driving if that helps. Just don't let him keep you in if you don't want to be.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My husband doesn't "let" me do anything. I do as I please when I please. And there is less traffic on most roads at night than during the day so it's actually a bit safer. Granted there are usually more drunks driving at night but at least you can usually spot them with less traffic.

My husband doesn't even worry about me when I'm working and I'm a cop lol. He knows my training and my attitude and that nothing short of my maker himself coming to get me personally would take me away from him and our children.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• He's your husband, not your dad...he doesn't get to "let" you do anything. And how the heck will the kids get home?

I do all the night driving, both for myself when going to work at midnight and for him when we're out at night. His night vision is terrible. But my husband would never presume to "let" me or not let me do anything.

Now...all that said...do you have AAA? You should. It's not that expensive, and it provides roadside assistance for you should anything happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Now...all that said...do you have AAA? You should. It's not that expensive, and it provides roadside assistance for you should anything happen.
    ----------------------

Oooo good advice. Totally worth the money to have that peace of mind. Maybe that would help him relax?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2010