How do you get your toddler from whining??

I have a 19 month old and all he seems to do is whine! It really irratates me because he's using it to communicate and just wont talk. My boyfriends mom said her daughter did the same thing and one day she grew out of it, but couldnt remember when...
Im really trying to teach him more words (he's learned a few), but he wont pick up on it....and all he wants to do is whine....HELP!~

Lazzie

Asked by Lazzie at 10:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HA! When ya find out let me know lol. I have no clue when my son is in a good mood he'll let me know in his own way what he wants & when he doesn't feel good its a big guessin game & whining from hell. GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• That's what toddlers do...sorry. Once they have a few more words, you can start encouraging speaking over whining but I think its hard for them to make the transition from baby cries/whines to saying what they want. I've been working on using "please" and "thank you" as an alternative to whining with my toddler since she was about 20 mo. but more often than not it still doesn't occur to her to just say please (even though I never respond to the whining any more). She did say thank you without being prompted today for the first time so that was exciting. It just takes time.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It is pretty normal at that age when communication is frustrating and difficult.

You can try to teach them to point. When my girl was that young, I'd sometimes succeed by giving her my hand and saying "show me." Some tantrums were inevitable regardless though.

Now that she's older (2 1/2) and she's got a larger vocabulary, I do a lot of reminding her to "use her words" and tell me what's making her upset. That's been pretty effective, and tantrums aren't so frequent.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• we tell our son "Whining doesn't work" and he repeats it. He is 2 1/2 years old, so he has a little better grasp on speach, etc. 18-24 months is the worst (or at least it was for us). Good luck. Hang in there.
    Anonymous

• BUST HIS BUTT !
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:13 .. You're going to spank a child for whinning? So .. Make him cry to get him to stop whinning? Wow. That's just about as messed up as it gets.

Stay calm with him. Simply say "Use your words, please. I don't know what you want unless you tell me." if that doesn't help at first ask him to point to it, then say "You want your bottle?" Repeditive teaching is the best way for a child to learn things. Especially when learning words. Communicating with them as if they're adults will help them learn how to speak as such. The best way is to keep assuring him that he can use his words, or help you understand in some way other then whinning.

Don't just say "Say Dog" over and over again. It's better to say "Look there's a dog" when you see one. "Here's your sippy cup" when you hand it to him. Using it as if you're not forcing it at him will allow him to feel comfortable in saying it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• All those are great ideas. And thank you. But the thing is, me and my boyfriend just moved into our own place 2 months ago. And he wasnt whining as much before we got here. And since we've been here, thats all he knows how to do. I know i should be patient with him but its very hard. My boyfriends family gives him everything he wants. Because in his family he's the only grandchild. on my side of the family, i have 3 more kids. and no kid should be spoiled in my book. The more im able to teach him words, his grandparents and aunts on my boyfriends side of the family just give him what he wants and he doesnt HAVE to talk. So all he does is whine.
    Lazzie

Answer by Lazzie at 3:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2010