When do you worry about a speech delay in a child?

Friend's child is 22 months and doesn't speak a word. Only makes grunts at things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your doctor. My daughter was a little younger than that when we first had her evaluated by Early Intervention. Now they have been involved for a year...and my daughter speaks SOOO much more. It's great. Ooops...I mean, I'd tell your friend they should talk to their child's doctor and tell the doctor she is concerned and would like to have the child evaluated...and the doctor will give her a number...and she can go from there. It works wonders. BELIEVE ME
    Anonymous

• I think 2 1/2 is typically when concern begins and 3 is when they would typically start speech therapy. At least that is what a friend of mine did.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• talk to the dr. they say 20 words by 20 months is the standard to go by.
    Anonymous

• Well from running a playgroup for kids right around that age, yah I'd say that's fairly behind but not necessarily indicitive of a permanent issue. Some moms were saying that 24months is when the drs around here start suggesting therapy for a non or under-developed talker.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• That's normal. Some children don't really start speaking until they're 3. However, if your friend is truely concerned then the first place to check is with the child's peadiatrician. My nephew had water behind his ear drums making it hard for him to hear the proper words when spoken. He tried to talk, but he'd often get it wrong. He was 3 at the time, I believe. They put tubes in his ears to drain the water and he's been talking very well ever since. My other nephew had to go to a speech therapist and I believe he too had to get tubes put in. So that could be another thing to bring up with the doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months. I would get the child evaluated; everything may be fine, but it there is an issue early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I started speech therapy at 18 months. My son didn't have any words although he did communicate nonverbally. He's 3 and 1/2 now and speaks fine.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think that you have to look at the family situation. Kids that get what they want when they point and grunt don't talk. My mother was really worried about how much I talked when I went to Kindergarten. When she went to pick me up after the first day she appoligized to the teacher. The teacher was shocked. She said that is funny we could not get her to stop talking!! My family the women are talkers. It turns out that I could not get a word in edge wise. Watch the child around the parents. See what happens. If the child is not getting his point across than there is a problem. If the child is getting his point across and the parents don't stop and ask him to tell them then that is another problem. If the child is getting his point across and the parents do stop and ask him to talk than that is a problem.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My youngest has been in speech therapy since he was 12 months old (his oldest brother has autism, so I was extremely proactive in getting him evaluated!). He has plenty of words now, his vocabulary is exploding, and he's started to say sentences - he's 17 months. I would definitely recommend an evaluation by 22 months if a child isn't speaking at all.

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2010