My kids teacher said he is too big to sit in front of the class

This ADHD lady said for my son to be put in the front of the class, to help keep his concentration, he is the size of a 12 year old but he is only six years old in kindergarten, so the teacher said he is so big--too big to be in the front to me he is still my baby, now on can keep his attention for more than 2 minutes he is not hyperactive, running around, he figgetes and doddles and makes his pencil into an airplane,daydreams, falls off his chair---uggg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• THATS NOT RIGHT !
    Anonymous

• Are you sure that he's actually ADHD? It's hard to diagnose a child that young with ADD/ADHD. Seeing as the classic symptoms of those disorders are that of a normal toddler and child up to 2-3 grade. The symptoms you said sounds more like he's bored rather then suffering from an attention disorder.

It wasn't right of her to tell him or you that he's too big to sit in the front row. She should be encouraging him to pay attention and learn, and that means doing whatever it takes for him to do so. She also should never segregate him by his weight by telling him/you that he's too big to sit in the front of the room.

Do you mean he's as big as a 12 year old in weight or in height. If weight, then you need to cut down on how much he eats. That's a serious gap.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Why can't he sit in the front in between a couple of other rows or something so as not to block the view of other children? Sounds like the teacher is just being lazy to me!
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 11:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Teacher needs to get over herself. And I would encourage you to get your son's thyroid checked.
    Anonymous

• I dont know anything about your childs behavior (if hes smart he could be bored though if he already knows what she is teaching or is not getting stimulated educationally & may find it all BORING, so many smart kids "go bad" -not that ur child is- because they are just too smart & not realized!)

I was tall for my age.. I stood a good 1-2ft above my classmates, i would have not wanted to be at the front of the class! ... I wouldnt make him sit in the front, he probably knows he is bigger & may feel weird about it. he may also get picked on for "blocking" every ones view.. and this will end up just giving him low self-esteem, maybe try talking to your teacher/ dr. and seeing what is something that will fit for him & his height!

Good Luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• So other children should have their view of the board blocked because he can't sit still? How is that fair to them?
    Anonymous

• Around here in Kindergarten they sit 4 or 5 to a table rather than individual desks. Same in 1st grade.
    Anonymous

• i have never seen a kindergarten class set up in a way that there is a front of the class. i guess at circle time, but the teacher needs to be flexible and work something out. at circle time he could be front and center, and just have no others directly behind him. i have heard about a 1/2 rubber ball for kids to sit on, that allows them the feeling of a lot of movement, but does not distract others around him. that might work well for your son. i am sure the kids get a few giggles when he falls.
    i truly wish you the best of luck! (i can't sit still either, dh hates to go to church with me!)
    you could cut sugar from his diet, artificial flavorings, colors and preservatives and see if that makes a difference too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My ds had one of the ball chairs, it did help some with his attention. If there is any way he could sit in the front to the side as not to block others view. I really hate to hear about teachers not wanting to help with a child that needs a little extra help.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• If you believe that your child has ADHD or something else going on (learning disability, vision issue, etc.), then have him formally evaluated, both privately & by the school district. For the district eval, you must request the evaluation in writing & give it either to the building principal or the district director of special education. A complete evaluation, either by the district or privately, would consist of vision, hearing & communication/prgamatics screening, IQ testing, Achievement tests and possibly OT or PT, if indicated.

If the results show a deficit, then your child may qualify for either a 504 Agreement, which gets your child accomodations & supports (like preferential seating), or an IEP, which means in addition to accomdations & supports, your child requires specialized instruction.

If you feel there is a need, speak to your child's doctor for a referral to the appropriate specialist(s).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2010