my 17 month old wont stop hitting, biting and smacking:(

my daughter is 17 mnths old and she has been hitting smacking and biting me and other kids too..pretty much anyone that makes her mad, and ive tried giving her one minute time outs and telling her that when she does those things it hurts and all that,i have even ended play dates after a few warnings i just dont know what else to do..my husband says we should smack her hand but how am i supposed to make her understand that hitting is bad if i hit her?uggghh im at my wits end...any advice?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all,when she starts scratching or biting you try turning her the other way and holding her hands so that she 'll stop hurting you.Then raise your tone of voice a little so she'll realise you're not pleased and tell her that this behavior is wrong,It hurts you or others and will not be tolerated.If she continues,warn her again that unless she stops,it's time out.You need a lot of patience but don't give in to these tantrums.The sooner she realises some things are inappropriate, the easier it will be to deal with future outbursts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• im not really sure if you have tried time out but i know i have watched that supper nanny show and she says to ignore there behavior if you notice them by telling them no they just will keep doing it when she bites ect just walk to another room give her a few mins go back in and act like nothing happened.. if this doesnt work maybe try a longer time out im not sure maybe somethings bothering her or she wants attention do you have other kids i hope things get better for you and good luck sorry if i wasnt much help when my son would bite me i would use the time out it worked for me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• well this is not good...Usually around this age these beahaviors are not abnormal. I would say for sure when she does this make her stop whatever she is doing immediatley and speak sternly to her. My 24mos old kinda tries to bite her brother and sister and occasional smacks us and I grab her hand and tell her we do not hit and I show her how we touch nice. She just stares but stops immediatley. All kids differ in what may work. Now I have never been in te room when the kids claim she bites and she has never left a mark so I think she may be placing her mouth on them and they think she is trying to bite....I need to be there to see what thats about.
    Anonymous