Need help choosing a girls name: Aoibheann Ealish, Cairistìona Mairead or Fionnuala Nyline

We are Irish (live in Ireland) and are choosing names for our 3rd daughter who is due in 6 weeks. We have chosen Gaelic names for all of our daughters. Our older 2 daughters are Siobhan Roison (said Shi-Vawn Ro-sheen & they mean God is Gracious & Little Rose) & Órfhlaith Niamh (said Or-la & Nee-iv & they mean Golden Princess/Lady & Bright).

We have 3 names chosen:

Aoibheann Ealish (said Eev-uhn & A-lis) and they mean Pleasant/Beautiful & Of Noble Kind

Cairistìona Mairead (said Kare-ih-styo-nah & Mah-raid) & and they mean Follower of Christ & Pearl

Fionnuala Nyline (said Finn-oolah & Ny-leen) & they mean fair/white shoulder & champion

Which do you prefer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How RUDE some of you are. She made it clear she is Irish, IN IRELAND. Can you not read? At least the names she uses actually have a cultural meaning/symbolism, instead of the names people create by seemingly banging things together or thinking up while on drugs.

OP, I think Aoibheann Ealish is beautiful. I am Irish as well, and took what seemed like forever to pick my kid's names.
    You have great taste!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• lol none =( sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• what the fuuuuuuck!!!!!! why the helllllll would you do that to your poor kids!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• lol I don't know what language that is... I can pronounce them but I think that last one is pretty if I am saying it right. Lol.... Nyline is pretty! Going to school is going to be hard and when you take the for appointment and don't get the name right...after awhile it's aggrivating!
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• They all sound so beautiful but I don't envy the little tyke when she gets to school and has to learn to write her name. Nobody else will ever know how to spell them either and will probably just end up calling her Eve, Kare or Finn. They're very lovely, lyrical names though. Congratulations.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 1:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• beautiful, well thought out names. tough to spell but i think you should take all 3 with you to the hospital and when you meet her you will know!! congrats!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I like mixing the first and third... Do the meanings still strike a chord with you if you were to do that?
    Aoibheann Nyline

I also love the name Siobhan! (That was the name of one of my favorites on American Idol this season) Do you watch that there?

Anywho, congrats and I do agree that sometimes you will know after you "meet" her! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I am the one who asked this question. I am sorry, I don't understand why you are being rude? Here Gaelic names are very common. To Americans they probably sound funny, to us they are normal names. Gaelic is my first language & English is my second language. My children don't even speak English yet, they aren't school aged. My name is Muadhnait Alastríona (said mooy-naht & al-ah-stree-nah) & my husband is Éamonn Belenus (said Ay-mon Bel-en-us). These names are common.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i really like nyline,that sounds very cute
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2010