Mormon beliefs

Is it true they believe God the Father has a Father? That Jesus was not able to cleanse us of our sins? How then can someone be saved to go to Heaven according to the Mormons? Is it only through accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Dear Anon.... Religion is the holy mother of all hazardous subjects and each of us must ultimately find our own way. NObody seems to agree on anything when it comes to something as important as the God question. Most of us profess an undying loyalty to our faith without really examining why we chose it. Tradition tends to rule out for most of us and we follow in our parents footsteps because nothing pleases them more and it's a nice safe place to find much needed approval from our friends and family. I did find a wonderful website that can answer all your questions on most every religion and I use it all the time when I have questions. It's called, religioustolerance.org and it's an incredible resource for anyone who wants to learn about different religions. For many of us, it's confusing to get bogged down in stories and dogmas that only serve to separate and irritate us... loving kindness is what it's really all about.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 1:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• OP, looks like you've been reading some anti-Mormon website full of hate and lies. You should ask an actual Mormon. There is a group here that is pretty active and they are quite helpful and nice about answering any questions anyone has about their beliefs.

Here's the link:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/42

You can also ask a Mormon at Mormon.org

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I used to be a Mormon and I can tell you beyond any doubt what they teach is not Scriptural. They preach a different gospel and the Bible warns against people who do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Hey, way to jump all over the OP instead of just answering her question!! You know, if one does not have any contact with a specific religion they may have questions and be looking for clarification or for someone to dispel a rumor that they heard - only they might not have any clue its a rumor! And most people ask a question from the perspective of their own experiences. If you are all really interested in EDUCATING people about your religion, just answer the questions!!!! Geesh!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I use to be Mormon and I never ever heard of that.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• ANON 10:57...I thought the first to responses were pretty nice and to the point. Get the stick out of your butt.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• They do believe Christ died for mankinds sins, that he is the Savior.
    They believe that God did used to be a man and ascended and that we have that ability if we follow the commandments,etc(but its dang near impossible if you really think about it).

Through accepting Jesus Christ as savior and following his teachings and through obedience to the laws and ordinances and principles of his gospel is how you get to "heaven".

If you cant accept Joseph Smith as a prophet of God then you really wouldnt be a member(or shouldnt be)of the church. Its not THE most important thing but its important cuz without believing that then much of the church teachings(note I didnt say all)would be useless and you wouldnt believe them,etc.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Amaranth explained it very well.

I do INDEED believe that Jesus suffered and bled from every pore to cleanse me from my sins! I am greatful and thankful every day for the sacrifice he made for me and for the rest of the world.

We believe pretty much everyone will get to heaven actually. Even those who don't believe what we do.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i am mormon and yes it seems you have been reading false truths and as always at the expense of of taring down a beautfil religion. gosh people find out for yourselves by attending the church or having the missionaries answer your questions. even on cafemom you won't get direct answers as you would by listening to yourself. cause i see above that someone said that she was a mormon and what we teach is not scriptual really then why does my church as all mormon churches say that we should study the scriptures both bible and book of mormon and if that were true then why do we have litature to read in the first place. you could pick up a book called gospel principles. it our gospel principles and summarizes what our beliefs are and why. ask your local church for one or a missionary if you see one. jesus is our savoir and cause he died for our sins we can be saved. no we don't have to accept joseph smith to be accpeted into heaven
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It's okay OP, I'm LDS, and I understand that people hear funny stuff about us all the time. Usually you'll find a little truth about us mixed with a lot lies.

I'm glad you asked for a clarification; I think aramanth answered well.
    Anonymous