With Mothers day coming up.......

Mothers day is meant to be joyous, but for some it's just a tragic reminder. Whether it's at church or at a restaurant or any place that throws out the welcome mat and honors mom's on that day...... For many it's a day of reminder of children lost or children they cannot have. What are your thoughts on ways it could be handled better? I, personally think that being a mom is something that is in a woman's heart and whether or not she is able to concieve, to some child somewhere, she is thought of as mom or will be someday. Would it be proper to take time to find a way to help them feel included or would it make a bad situation worse?

GMMOLLY

Asked by GMMOLLY at 7:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's a lovely sentiment. I think talking about it always helps. So, a Mother's Day card to Aunt so and so, who couldn't have a children, saying "you are like a mother to me" let's her know that she is special to someone. If it brings up her own specific problem, that's really okay, she lives with it everyday anyway.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I don't know if there really is anything that can make it better. It's going to hurt no matter what.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• its going to hurt no matter what for the ones that can't or have lost.

for the mom that's lost I think turning Mothers day (and Father's Day) into a celebration of the life they created, have it a happy day of memories and joy.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think the fact that a woman can't conceive would be something they would carry with them everyday. Not just Mothers Day. For me I would like Mothers Day to just go by and not acknowledge it at all.... I Lost My Mom to cancer 10 yrs ago this Month and I have no use for Mothers day...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think mothers day should be about appreciating what we do have as far as our children, our moms and our memories of both. Its too much about money and getting this and that and not about time together.
    Anonymous