Meals for Lactose Intolerant infants?

My dd is 8 months old and when my older dd turned 8 months I was giving her lunch breakfast and dinner with foods that we ate. (no baby foods) I'm trying to do this with my now 8 month old but coming up a little short on what she could have. She is lactose intolerant and I dont want to irritate her little belly. She wont eat baby purees or ceral either. Anyone have any suggestions for what I could give her that has little to no dairy in it?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Why would anything have to be different? We are a lactose free household but every product that has real milk is available in a lactose free variety. Milk, cheese, ice cream, you can get them all lactose free. Unless you are trying to go dairy free for other reasons.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You can also make things that call for milk with either lactose free milk or say milk. My grandmother has lactose issues sometimes and I do things like make pankcakes using soy milk instead of real milk.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You can use rice/soy/hemp/goat milk in place of cow... we don't use dairy in our home, simply because it isn't food that people should eat. it's for baby cows.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Be careful. My dd was lactose intolerant. Girls scouts gave her something she could not have and she is dead now. She was 7.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 8:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Ok, hisblueeyes. I'm very sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine losing a child. But you're gonna scary this poor woman to death! Not everyone who has a lactose intolerance will die from dairy. I think that was a bit harsh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It is the truth and people should be aware of how serious this can be. Sorry if it is harsh but it is the truth.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 10:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I know dairy wont kill my baby because we give her small amounts from time to time to see how she handles it. Depending on the amount she usually does ok. I'm just at a loss of what to make for her. I used to give my other dd stuff like yogurt for breakfast and such so now I have no Idea. I completely forgot all about pancakes, havent had them in awhile so maybe I will try them. thank you for the suggestions
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My DD is lactose sensitive. She is fine with dairy most of the time, but we can't overload her. We found out because she got really sick when she was 3, we did a "lactose detox" and switched to soy temporarily under Dr. supervision. We were able to make all of her favorites still and she didn't even notice the difference. Now that she's older now, she understands her limits dairy wise, She knows that if she wants yogurt for snack, she needs soy milk with breakfast or a lact-aid for both.
    awhunt897

Answer by awhunt897 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Before age one, a baby shouldn't have any dairy; it is an allergy trigger food.

Good early foods are avocado, sweet potato, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 AM on May. 1, 2010