how much do you think a 4yo should get for an allowance?

I'm not asking for a debate about giving or not giving an allowance. I will give DD an allowance. I'mm just wonder what a fair amount would be. She makes her bed, tidies her room, sweeps up after herself when she eats messy, helps vacuum, watches her brother for a minute or two at a time, learns her Bible verses for AWANA, helps with laundry (folding and sorting), and occassionally helps put away the dishes. With her allowance we'd like to help her learn that with a good attitude and hard work she gets rewarded. With a bad attitude and slacking off, she gets a "paycut". The money she earns is to be split among "savings", "play", and "gifts". Half will go into savings, the other half split between play and gifts. She will be buying her own gifts for others (with a little guidance-I don't think great-grandparents would enjoy more than a good laugh getting coloring books for Christmas!).

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 8:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I give my four year old what ever loose change I have in my pocket. If my pocket is bare, then I just grab a small amount of coins (randomly) out of my change jar. Sometimes he gets 20 pennys! Other times he gets a couple dollars in silver. What ever he gets, he is happy with and he LOVES to "feed his piggy bank"

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my son is 5. We don't give him any kind of weekly allowance but we pay him for jobs well done. If i ask him to clean his room good and organize and he does a good job and does it when he is told then i will give him 2 or 3 dollars. My dh will have him help wash cars and he will give him 5 dollars. We make him save money until he gets a lot then let him buy something nice.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I give my 3 year old (she'll be 4 in august) quarters.

but then everything is a penny to her. as long as it clinks she's ecstatic.

it all goes in her penny bank anyway..
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Well, we have always taught our children that the first 10% goes to God, and then some in "savings". The rest they get to spend. For a four-year old I think that $1 a/week would be a great place to start. $.10 to God, $.25 to savings and she gets $.50 a week......at this age, though, if you start out to high, as she grows up she's gonna expect it to increase, and you might be setting yourself up for something you'll not be able to maintain. Good Luck! and it sounds like you've got quite the little helper!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 9:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my boys are 5 and 6. dh just started giving them $3 a week each. i would love to put 1/2 into savings. i would love to do that with $ from grandparents too. it is a good habit i think. so bravo to you mama!
    i think $3 is a lot, but they started doing extra stuff for me, b/c i am pregnant, and have had a preemie, and don't want to push myself physically. so their chores are what we consider to be more than they should be. a month after the baby comes, they will most likely get a reduction in pay :(
    it does sound like your daughter does quite a bit! what a responsible little girl!
    anything you decide will be fair i think! $1, $2, $4.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I give DS a quarter everytime he does a "job"
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Maybe you could do a chart, and put a sticker up in the category for what she just did. Have a prize written at the end so when it's filled up, you can get the prize. Make her prize something good but it doesn't have to be expensive ie...a movie, a trip to the zoo or museum, a toy, book, etc......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• we don't do allowances.
    Anonymous

• I think a couple bucks a week sounds fair at that age!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• $4 dollars
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 12:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2010