do you let your kids watch rated R movies? At what age do you allow your kids to watch rated R movies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• it really depends on the movie.

R-rating encompasses a lot of different movies. the harder ones NO.

if we've seen it and find it ok for them to watch - we might. but we have to watch it first and then decide.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• No, I don't allow it in my home. Even PG 13 movies...and nowadays PG are getting questionable with the context....Really listen to the PG movies that are coming out and see if you can pick out suggestive phrases and even the A word and D word....
    I can't believe how low society is going...to actually put that stuff in little kid movies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I don't watch R-rated movies myself, so nobody else is going to watch them at my house. The grandchildren are not even allowed to watch SpongeBob at my and Granddaddy's house, because he is an insolent little smart aleck, and children pick that stuff up like a magnet picks up nails. It is true that when one puts garbage in, one will get garbage out. So why risk it?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It depends on the movie. If it is something I have already seen and I know if something inappropriate is coming up and I can skip past it or tell her not to look. I would never go to a movie theater with her to see one.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My son is 16, he can pretty much watch what he wants. My daughter is 11, so no, she hasn't seen any R-rated movies. PG is fine, PG 13 I usually like to watch before hand
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• We have a 13, 7 and a 6 yr old... Our 13 yr old gets to watch some R movies. As long as we know what it's about. He loves scary movies so we let him. He knows real from fake, has since he was very little. There's crap on TV that they see and it's not rated, but they know the difference. I have made it a point to watch TV with them and answer any questions they may have. All 3 of our boys only get to watch pg13 movies if myself or their Dad has seen it. PG, I don't really make a fuss. Our 6 and 7 yr old don't watch movies alone so we're always right there with them.... I think if parents use common sense and are right there with their children that's what matters most, not some "rating" on the movie....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my son likes action movies like terminator and alien and all...i'm sure those are R but for the nasty language. He knows they are bad words and he knows not to say them. I don't allow him to sit with me and watch a movie that is non action that i know will have love scenes it in. I wouldnt care if he saw kissing or even under cover stuff. I just wouldnt want him to see any hardcore crap that some movies like to show today. He is 5.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• If I wouldn't let someone come into my house and behave a certain way, why would we watch it on TV? If I'm not going to let my kids talk like filth, why is it okay for them to hear it? NO. I do not let them watch R rated movies, or PG-13 and some PG are out of the question. I do not understand society's mentality that just because it's "entertainment" we can stretch the lines of morals and behavior. Perhaps that's why we are in the immoral, lazy, appathetic sitiation we're in as a country. Filth in....filth out. They can do something constructive instead of sitting in front of a television.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 9:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Yep.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• only my 17 yr old can watch them. My 15 yr old will have to wait until he's older.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 9:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2010