Is school closing because some of us taxpayers didn't pay taxes?

I claimed 0 so the most in taxes would be taken out of my check last year. There was about 40.00 taken from my check for federal taxes. Then I was given a credit at tax time....so if the schools are government funded, is it because alot of us didn't pay any or very little in federal taxes? All of a sudden schools are shutting down, no summer school activities...teachers laid off!? why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No schools are highly funded. It's the districts that don't know how to budget.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Even if you claim 6 you are still paying the same amount by the end of the year. Instead if getting a refund you pay. The problem as the PP said is budgeting. There is probably some amount of misuse involved as well as the number of students that a risen so quickly. All of the sudden they are having to cut back to provide services for more students. This sounds counter productive but keep in mind that they are providing more books and transportation for more students and that money has to come from somewhere. Unfortunately it's the teachers. What you claim has nothing to do with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Your schools get money from local taxes, not your federal income tax - property taxes, lottery proceeds, vehicle fees - those are the types of things that fund your schools.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I agree that there is just more kids than can be funded well in some areas. I also agree that the budgeting/priorities is off in most places. I'm not sure how much you claim has much to do with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Maybe the teachers are making more than the students ever will.....................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Schools aren't completely govenment funded . LOL they do get some money from the government but it's good old Americans paying their school taxes that pays for a good portion of public schools.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Here in Michigan many schools are closing because

1. the governor cut funding to schools, requiring the district to make cuts or find money other ways, like raising millages.
    2. the economy sucks, meaning there's less state income tax money to spread around so the governor made MORE cuts to schools.
    3. the economy sucks, meaning local people don't HAVE more money to give to schools and millages are being voted down.
    4. the poor economy has forced many families to leave the state to find jobs, leaving a smaller local tax base and fewer students for the school to claim state funds.
    5. due to many issues, more people are choosing to homeschool, resulting in fewer students for the school to claim state funds.

Any or all of those may apply to where you live.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The school districts locally are closing schoos and cutting programs because 18 months ago, the residents of our fair city voted down a rise in property taxes (property taxes provide most of a school district's local funding). As a result, our districts are having to make dramatic cuts. What I find funny about the whole thing is that nwo the schools can't afford to buy most of the classroom supplies. Which means mile long school supply lists next year. So parents ARE paying more, just not through their property taxes.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• some schools are closing down b/c populations have gone down. why keep schools fully staffed when enrollment is 1/2 what it was 10 years ago. i believe budgeting is a serious issue. it is not like schools are closing, and kids are left with no where to go. when money is down cuts have to be made. just like if you got a 10 or 20% pay cut, you would have to make adjustments in your household.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Michiganmom,

You took the words out of my mouth. I too am in Michigan and it's a sad sad state. Our superintendent and school board have been working tirelessly to figure this out.

With Granholm proposing another 300 per pupil cut for the 2010-2011 school year, I don't know what is going to happen. In my district all the 5th grade and 2nd grade teachers have retired, which is good since they are the oldest, highest paid teachers. Just so happens, I have a child going into each of those grades. lol.

It'll be interesting to watch the outcome.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2010