How/Where do you keep your recipes?

Now that I am a SAHM and I have been able to cook/bake more - I find that I have recipes all over the place and they are not at all organized. Some I have made up, some I have found, some given from friends.

Once I make something and I see my family likes it - I write it down and I have used index cards, but still not great on the best way to have them available/organized.

So what do you do with your recipes??

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 9:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Put your index cards in a photo album- the kind you slide the pictures into. You can easily add labels for the categories.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Have you tried printing them on the computer ... I keep all of mine in a little receipe card box (usually), right at this moment, I have stuff everywhere, lol.
    Maybe you can type them up and save them on your computer and/or print them out and keep them in a box.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:22 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have a binder notebook where i store all my recipes, and keep in the bookcase where i store all my other store-bought recipe books. other than that i have a ''label'' on my gmail id. and any recipe i come across, i cope paste them there. making an account on EVERY ''food website'' can also be hard. so i just copy paste them in an e-mail, give the name of the dish , attach the picture of the dish (if given), send it to myself and then send it to my ''food label'' folder. that way i dont have to go crazy on all the food sites when looking for my saved recipe :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have a filecard box with alphabetized card separators for loose pages and cards

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have 1 cookbook and 1 notebook where I keep my recipes. Most of it just stays in my head though :)
    ammil87

Answer by ammil87 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I got a 3 ring binder for recipes that I've typed or printed from the internet, and bought those thingies...lol you know like the plastic things that go in them to hold paper (their name eludes me) and stick those recipes in there. And then for recipes that I have on small cards, I have a recipe box for them.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think it is easiest to get a 3 ring binder with plastic sleeves/page protectors in it. When you get a new recipe you can slide it in a sleeve. On a bored day ( I know not likely) you can shuffle the sleeves around into categories like dinner, appetizers...etc. This method is nice b/c you can put in recipes from index cards to tear outs from magazines. Plus they wont get nasty when you get food on it when you are cooking..wipes right off!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I print mine on a normal 8.5"x11" piece of paper and put them in a binder by category. It's probably just a waste of paper, though, since I wing it just about every time anyway. LOL.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 12:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You know - hazelnutkin - I think that is what my MIL does!! Great idea.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have a binder full of recipes, a box full of recipe cards, several cook books and a box full of clipped recipes that I am working through to put into the binder. They are all stored on my baker's rack.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2010