What do you consider to be poor,middle class and rich?

I'm not really sure where we fit. I think were in the middle of poor and middle class and I don't know what you'r call that,lol.
Between the two of uf we make about $22,000.00 a year. Our bills our paid. We live in a very nice but affordale house in the country part of a suburban area.
We only have one car that is a 1995, but it runs and we maintain it to keep it running.We do all our own home repairs, we can't afford to have someone else do them.
I literally gave my child the last $3.00 I have this morning so he could pay for his school field trip. DH gets paid today, so good thing for that,lol. We live pay check to pay check. We have no credit cards, they wouldn't approve us even if I wanted one.
We put thins in layaway to be able to buy them, furniture for the house,outdoor furniture and even the kids clothes.
So,what about you, what is your basic life style and what do you consider to be poor,middle class and rich?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think poor means you can't afford the basic necessities.
    Middle class means you don't have to worry about the basics, you have the money for them every time, and you can get the "extras" sometimes.
    Rich means you don't even have to wonder about money.

Me and my family probably fall somewhere in Middle class. We have the money for the basics, can usually afford the extras even if we have to save for them a little while, and have a little tucked away for emergencies.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• poor i consider people who have to live off welfare...then i think there is a lower middle class, a middle class, and an upper mid class, then there is the rich, the super rich, and the filthy rich. i would say we are middle class.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• well i think i would be in your exact range if i lived in a larger city. DH makes just about $21,000 a year and i make maybe $1,500 we live in a nice singlewide mobile home (3br, 2bath) so it looks bigger than others, it has a screened in porch and a carport and we rent. its a lot bigger and nicer than our first place we rented. all our bills are paid, nothings about to be turned off, everything is basically caught up. we dont have cable though (we have discovered we dont need it we watch movies or tv online) we have a 2005 chevy equinox (love this truck). the person we rent from is responsible for any repairs, my mother helps out a lot, she is more on the RICH side of life so she is generous to me(my DD is her favorite of all 5 grands lol) she helps if we have a large unexpected expense and she puts in on bills if late for us shes a huge help. but we do have $1000 in the bank at all times so we're not broke so to speak!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• we make about $70,000 a year and I consider us middle class. although most people around here make on average $20,000--$30,000 a year, I just dont consider us to be "rich" because we still struggle at times but I think that everyone does at some point in time.
    but to me, poor is when you cant afford anything that you need, such as food, a home, etc.
    Anonymous

• My husband makes about $7,000.00- $7500.00 a month. I'm & always have been a SAHM. We live in a modest 4 bed/ 2 bath split in the suburbs. We have a nice mini van & a decent ford tempo that my husband drives to work. Our children were home schooled for most of their education, but spent the last few years & then graduated from private school. We have not always had this much income, & early in our marriage, we had a lot of debt & decided we hated being slaves to our debt, so we stopped spending & got everything paid off. Even though we now have a very good income, we continue to budget for everything & pay for everything with cash.I never think about what class we are, I don't really even know. All I know is that We live within our means & don't spend on frivolous things, we love to give to our church & give anonymous gifts of money to people whom we know are struggling. God has blessed us, so we want to bless others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My husband brings home about 30,000 and I bring home about 24,000. After all of our bills we have about 1,300 left a month. Of course, I don't know WHERE that goes because we have some weeks that we only have 50 dollars to last us all week and then some weeks we have about 500 left. We pay all the bills and blow what's left. We're irresponsible.. but we have fun ! lol
    Anonymous

• you are probably in the "upper lower class" financially. At least where I live you would be.

Lower middle class would be $25-$35k a year and a $100 home, with cars less than ten years old.

Middle class would be $35-$60k a year. $200k home, and cars less than 5 years old.

Upper middle $60-$75k a year. $220k+ home, cars less than 5 years old.

Lower upper $75-150k a year

Middle upper $150-$300k a year

upper upper $300k-millions a year.

JMHO with numbers pulled out of thin air... but you did ask for opinions and not facts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• So,what about you, what is your basic life style and what do you consider to be poor,middle class and rich? In my opinion poor is when you cannot afford to keep your electricity on, water running or provide food for your family. Middle Class is when you can afford to pay all your basic needs, plus your car and house payments if you have them but have no money or very little left over after payday. Upper Class is you can do all the above and do not have to save for anything you can go do whatever you want because money is not a problem. My husband and I fit in between the middle and upper class we have money left over but we are smart about the "fun toys" we buy and the trips we take.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think the dollar amount varies depending on where you live, but I'd say where I live for a family of 4:
    $15K or less = really poor
    $15K - $30K = poor
    $30K - $60K = lower middle class
    $60K - $150K = middle middle class
    $150K - $300K = upper middle class
    $300K - $1M = wealthy
    $1M - $10M = very wealthy
    over $10M = ultra rich
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• According to some studies we should be middle class Yeah Right! I've been out of work for a while and can't seem to find a job - period. Here's an example of our living - Today's paycheck (for 2 weeks) $2244.82 )net - DH had less than 180 this time Bills:
    Mortgage $1136.82 (goes down in Sept. Thank God!)
    IRS $350 (don't ask & I won't tell you I married him before I knew and I love him anyways)
    Electric bill $307.00 (we have 1 choice on provider and they rape you)
    Fridge Payment $76.00 (when you gotta have a fridge NOW and you don't have cash to buy one- you finance what you can get)
    Trash payment $85 (we have to pay for our own dumpster)
    Well payment $100
    2054 - 2244 = 190 to last for 2 weeks, buy groceries, gas for the car, doctors bills (I'm sick), meds, dog food, Ah crap forgot loan payment 176 - forget the groceries, cancel my dr appt, etc. What the hell is middle class? We R Poor -unless shampoo and food is a luxury
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2010